When writing poetic lyrics, how do I stop writing about the same things over and over?

Favorite Answer

What u need 2 do is get out the house more...Fool....PeAcE

What about trying a "random method," the kind of thing used by Dada and Surrealist poets, and composer John Cage.

Example: take a book, newspaper, or magazine. Close your eyes, and without looking, place your finger on a page.On

whatever your finger lands, try writing about that.

You might have to do this a few times to come up with something you'd like, but on the other hand, if you get to the point where you could write a poem about anything, then you'll really be quite an accomplished poet, don't you think?

Source(s): Books about Dada, Surrealism, and John Cage and other modernists.

hey. Well I write poetry myself and find that sometime I repeat the same things over and over again in different poems. My advice is to try and think of words in a different way.

LIke maybe you want to say that you feel like crying

think of what crying is and what you do when you cry. And explain it that way.

Sometimes all you need is a new perspective on your writing.

and try a thesaurus too. Those are sooo awesome!

Try writing about something you know nothing about. Most of the poets write about what they know and feel.

Think about different things to feel differently. Or may be while wording your feelings think about similar things which would make you feel the same way.

Writer's block?

Close chapter and read something else that interests you may be films, economics, philoso. etc. and come back to write further on.

like look at other poetry and use words from them dont copy like think of words look at a dictonary and that helps you write differnet stuff it helped me

Give up poetry ......start writing obituaries