what does "spare the rod, spoil the child" really mean?

To many people, it means corporal punishment, spanking. But I think it just means correction, not implying violence. Anyway, it wasn`t Christ who said that, it was Solomon.

And we can't talke the Bible literally. This is nonsense, it was written for the society of 2000 years ago. If we do take the Bible literally, then women are second class human beings

Favorite Answer

woman are 1st class, and dont u forget it,dont beat ur kids

Source(s): ws

The scripture is based upon the tradition of training in that day. The point is that children must be disciplined and trained properly. If they are not, then when they become an adult they will have all the wrong ideas about what life is about. They will often (but not always, despite their parents foul ups) turn out bad and be bad citizens.

Kids not taught properly as a child will usually be nasty as adults they expect more because they were spoiled and given anything they wanted.

Kids need to be taught that everything in life is not for the taking. They need to learn the value of things and the responsibility of working to earn it. If earning means to behave or to do some chores, that is teaching them of about what good citizenship is all about. They will grow to learn about what is important and that real satisfaction comes from enjoying what they have earned in life, not what they have taken.

Source(s): A parent of three sucessful and good citizens.
  • in the times when the bible was written, sheep herders used a rod to guide their sheep with. the rod would be extended to set the physical boundary on the path they were walking down. the rods werent meant for beating or injuring the sheep.

therefore, the phrase implies that you have to set boundaries, rules, & guide them to stay on the right path.

to spare the rod would be to have no rules.

that is what causes a spoiled child.

beating a child with a rod is abuse.

children raised in an abuse free environment are by no means spoiled.

You know, I 100% agree with you about the Bible. While we can take it to heart, raising our families to it 100% is ridiculous. 2000 years ago things didn't happen to children like they do now. Or people in general really. However, I've always taken 'spare the rod, spoil the child' as a literal phrase. Don't spank and you will spoil. However, I don't agree. I don't spank, and my little one is definately not spoiled.

Doesn't Jesus SAY to take the Bible literally? For this reason, I do. Doesn't the Bible also say that men and women have equal values but different roles? The driver of a car isn't anymore important than the passenger, but someone has to steer. (the analogy is off the top of my head, but I tried).

The Bible is not telling anyone to beat their child, and is defiantly not nonsense. It means that you need to teach and guide your child to grow up with values and respect.

Woman was created to partner with man, not to walk behind nor in front of but beside.

It means, kick their asses.... yea, literally! Today it is considered child abuse, period! Remember, back in the day, the wife and children were property of the man so he could beat all of them if he wanted to. Who cares who said it, it still comes out the same... violence.

I agree with you, I don't think it means violence, I think it's a metaphor. If you never punish the child they will always get what they want and think it's okay therefore spoiling. I think it means just punishing them, not physically though.

I agree. But the quote does mean to hit or spank. I am glad someone else agree that hitting a child in any form is wrong.

Self explanatory. If you withhold discipline you run the risk of spoiling your child. Not necessarily spanking but any form of reprimand or repercussions for their actions.

from experience, it means that if u dont diciplin your kid they will most likley turn out rotten and spoiled.

it has also been scientifically proven

annd u should think hard about the bible and how religion has changed