what about wal-mart?

In the year 1998 or so, Wal- Mart had a class action case on them from the managers and manager-assistance mainly women who were treated unfairly. I was following the case, but I lost track after so many years and I don't know how to find out what happen if anything did. Please let me know how to find out what happen in the case if any thing did happen

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Life
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i just did a cut copy paste

================

A sex-discrimination lawsuit against Wal-Mart Stores Inc. won class-action status yesterday, allowing it to include up to 1.6 million current and former female employees in the largest private civil rights case in US history.

Article Tools

Printer friendly

E-mail to a friend

Business RSS feed

Available RSS feeds

Most e-mailed

Reprints & Licensing

Save this article

powered by Del.icio.us

More:

Business section |

Latest business news |

Globe front page |

Boston.com

Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts The suit alleges that the retail giant set up a system that frequently pays its female workers less than their male counterparts for comparable jobs and bypasses them for key promotions.

US District Judge Martin Jenkins decided to expand the lawsuit to include virtually all women who work or have worked at Wal-Mart's 3,500 stories nationwide since December 1998.

Wal-Mart, based in Bentonville, Ark., and the nation's largest private employer, had sought to limit the scope of the lawsuit and said it would appeal the ruling.

No trial date has been set in the lawsuit, which initially covered six women.

The decision that the case merits class action status was pivotal because it gives lawyers for the women tremendous leverage as they pursue punitive damages, as well as back pay and other compensation.

"I think it's a terrific victory for the women who work at Wal-Mart who have labored for years under working conditions where they have been told repeatedly they have been unsuitable for management and not suitable to make as much as men," said Joseph Sellers, one of the attorneys representing the women.

Betty Dukes, one of the women spearheading the suit, said she was paid just $8.44 per hour during her first nine years working at a variety of positions at Wal-Mart's store in Pittsburg, Calif., while several men holding similar jobs but less seniority earned $9 per hour.

A company spokeswoman downplayed the significance of the ruling and promised an appeal.

"Today's ruling has absolutely nothing to do with the merits of the case," spokeswoman Mona Williams said. "Judge Jenkins is simply saying he thinks it meets the legal requirements necessary to move forward as a class action."

Yesterday, Jenkins ruled that a congressional act passed in 1964 prohibits sex discrimination and that corporations are not immune.

In addition, the judge said lawyers for the women put on enough anecdotal evidence to warrant a class-action trial.

===========================

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2004...

Source(s): google
    • Login to reply the answers
  • pallet
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Oh wow..it somewhat is humorous. And that somewhat is this type of those that come into Wal-Mart. i've got been working there for 2 years and conventional i'm surprised by using peoples way of existence. i'm shocked that the greeter became brave sufficient to declare that, yet I might desire to furnish her credit for status up for herself!!

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.