Laptop power cord has a 1" barrel like thing near the plug. What is it?


It's not a transformer.

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Its called a Ferrite Ring. It is used to control electromagnetic interference.

  • bunton
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    that's a ferrite Bead that is purpose is to shrink digital interference to the laptop from the electrical powered twine. as electrical energy passes by a cord it produces an electric powered field around it. that field would reason intereference with digital units. so definite you may shrink the twine in the back of it yet you will would desire to replace the bead besides.

  • 1 decade ago

    it is a power transformer *** rectifier it converts 240v to 12 v and at the same time AC to DC

  • 1 decade ago

    its a power transformer

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    i believe it's to regulate power from electro magnatic interference. it's got a big 'ole magnet inside of it.

  • 1 decade ago

    That's an EMI Filter

  • 1 decade ago

    it is a power trasnformer wen u go overseas

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.