Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Why is popcorn sold at them movies? Isn't kind of a noisy snack?

I hate hearing crunch crunch crunch in my ears when I am trying to watch (and listen to) a movie. Aren't other treats quieter?

Favorite Answer

Tradition

Okay, so I saw this thing on discovery or history channel or something like that. It started off as just being an at-home snack. When the movies stopped making money, they needed a gimmick to get people back in, so they decided since popcorn was so big, they would sell that at a concession stand in the entrance. In the first year, they made more money on popcorn than they did the ticket sales. That's why popcorn is sold at the movies now.

I think popcorn was originally sold in other shows like the circus and just carried over to the movies. They were silent at first so the crunch really did not matter

Look at it from sales point of view. It is cheap for the theaters of buy and make. It puts out a strong Delicious smell. It is easy to clean up. And people will buy it for a ridiculous amount of money and also a drink to wash it down with for a lot of $$$. The movie theaters don't make a lot of money on the movies. It is the concession stand that brings in the money!

Source(s): Kid next door is movie usher and manager
  • mitch

1. Don't buy popcorn when you go to the movies.

2. The kernels could potentially give you gum problems.

3. Eat before going to the movies — something you enjoy, so you won't become hungry at the movie house.

its tradition to eat popcorn while watchin movie. besides, popcorn makes u thirsty, then u have to buy a drink which makes the cinema gain more profit not just from the movies, but from the popcorn and drinks. thats y they charge u so much for combo meals etc.

Well it is not as loud as when someones cell phone rings and they answer and talk on the phone during the movie. Any type of candy I assume is quieter.

yeh,your totally right, but these days, a movie just isn't a movie without popcorn...

I guess it is better than someone sitting behind you with a crackle bar (You know the ones that when they hit your tongue they make crackling noises)

Thumbs up and a bowl of popcorn for you... =)

Only in your own head. Not like chips, when everyone else not only hears you munching, but also rustling the bag!

OK, Good night All, I am outta here!

popcorn is easy and cheap to make.

they dont give a sh** about the noise, u already paid.