What would you do if a co-worker falls asleep on the job?

I see my coworker sleeping at her desk almost every day. She'll be sitting there and suddenly the head falls and she's out for 5 to 10 minutes. Should I say something to her? Tell the boss? Or do nothing and wait until the boss inevitably walks in on her while she's sleeping? What would you do?

Favorite Answer

Steal her stapler!

I'd be wondering (like I am now) why is she so tired? Is it because she's just irresponsible and parties when she's not at work, or is it because she's working another job to support her family? There has to be a reason she's not sleeping at home. Ask her, politely, and voice your concerns about the possibility that your boss might actually see her. Maybe there's something you can to do help. Make it clear that you're not attacking her.

There's also another (less likely) possibility: some people (especially women) suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). It's a condition where, as you've probably guessed, the person is unusually, constantly exhausted for no obvious medical reason. Just a thought.

• You can do 1 of 2 things.

1. Draw a funny moustache on her or take funny pictures...something along those lines while she's sleeping.

or

2. Be her naptime buddy. When she falls asleep keep a lookout for the boss or anyone else who can get her fired and then when she wakes up you can take a nap and she can be your lookout.

• Jim T

Well, that might depend on what she does for a living.

If she is a pilot, or an air-traffic controller, then report her, keep fresh coffee in the maker, etc.

If she spends her day doing transcriptions of executive meetings, well, a little sleep is not going to hurt anyone.

Take a digital picture of her snoozing and email it to all the coworkers who know her.

10 points extra if you email the picture from her own email account as she's probably left her computer unguarded with the email app open while she's in lala land.

When I worked on night shift at an airport in the Middle East, one of the Arabs I supervised used to sleep all night and one of the other Arabs would wake him up when our shift finished so he could drive home. One morning he forgot and this guy overslept, so I put in a claim for overtime for him, for a joke. They paid up.

Well telling the boss is not being a good co-worker but if you don't like her yea tell the boss.......otherwise talk to her and tell her to go to see her doctor she could be diabetes and don't know it................

I worked with a guy who had narcolepsy and would fall asleep on the phone.

Man oh man, I sure hope y'all are not air traffic controllers.

Don't rat the ho-bag out. She'll get caught on her own, trust me.

It's a karma thing....

I'd get her a pillow.

Mind your own business. Unless, of course, this person is your enemy - in which case, you should totally set her up to be caught in the act.

• ash 7

if she's a fairly good worker, i would say let her be.

she might not have adequate rest due to various reasons.

dont all of us have our problems?

why dont you speak to her and find out why?