bigdawg0190 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

do mother dogs kill puppies if touched by humans too soon?

Favorite Answer

That is an excellent question. But I don't think they do.

No, I have never heard of a mother dog killing her puppies if a human touches them to soon. They might bite the human though. Course, that would depend on how well you know the dog. In other words, don't touch a mother dogs puppies if you don't know the dog. Also, some dogs can get temperamental during labor, so be careful...

No. My dog has had 3 litters of puppies and I have helped her with each birth by picking them up and checking them. My kids also picked the newborn puppies up and there never was a problem.

In bird life though, I have heard that you aren't supposed to pick up chicks because the mother won't take care of it then.

Some mother dogs do kill their young, but it has nothing to do with handling the pups too soon. I handle the pups just after birth, drying them off, checking to see if they are okay, checking for sex of the babies. A mother dog will kill pups that are too weak or deformed, pups that they know will not survive, or sometimes a dog bred too young will kill their offspring because they do not want to be mothers.

I guess that would depend on the female. But for the most part no they won't. Once in a while you find a female who doesn't really want to be a mother and rejects or even kills pups. Most females however are good mothers. I helped my girl with her pups from the moment they were born and she never got upset with me or my family. I could take a pup and hand it to someone but they could not reach in a get one. She always took them back.

No. Some mothers don't like having people, even their owners, around their newborn pups, but this is just instinct to protect. It would be considered abnormal for a mother dog to kill her puppies just because they were touched.

Source(s): CVT

no she will roll the puppy in dirt or on some thing to get the sent of the person off the puppy

Source(s): thankz 4 da deuce

Not usually...people frequently help their dogs deliver the puppies and it turns out just fine! Good luck!

nope. Usually puppies will die though if they are the runt and not enough milk to go around, then they will just not feed the small one

• Not if she's mentally stable.

I handle puppies from the day they are born. Heck, I deliver them.

Source(s): breeder

NO, they might be more prone to stop haveing anything to do with them. but that doesnt happen all the time