Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How can I increase my endurance running?

I really want to join the navy, and I've been working hard, I just don't feel like I've really improved very much. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Hi, I'm an Air Force Veteran, and let me tell you, if you can find a running club in your town to join, do so. It sounds like you have been making an effort to run? Good. Keep that up. What I suggest is, every day try to increase your distance. If your running on a track that's good, but also run in the grass, and uphills if possible. Keep a log of your progress. Breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, and make sure you run heel to toe. Purchase some good quality running shoes. The military will issue you the running shoes they want you to have, but get some good ones now to run in. Also, skip heavy weight training in the gym. Focus on solely calisthenics: push-ups, pull-ups, deep knee bends, jumping jacks, and swimming. Best wishes to you. And eat a clean diet and be in the best shape of your life before heading off to basic training. Make us proud!

The Navy's website (it may be the OCS website) used to have a great log for people who hadn't been running for a while.

It goes something like this:

Wk 1 - 5' run, 2' walk, 5' run

Wk 2 - 7' run, 1.5' walk, 7'run

Wk 3 - 10'run 0.5' walk 10'run

Wk 4 - 20' run

etc.

Generally speaking, just try to run a little further each time.

I believe at boot camp/OCS (whichever you do) you'll be doing 5 miles at a 6'-7'/mile pace, so if you don't want shin splints I'd be getting to it.

By walking whenever you have the chance as in, don't drive, don't take the elevator. Just walk whenever you get the chance and walk at a quick pace that you feel heated and your lungs are working hard. This can boost your endurance.

everyday for 2 weeks - walk 1and 1/2 to 2 miles

everyday for 1 week - jog at a medium pace 1 1/2-2 miles

everyday for 2 weeks - run 1 - 2 miles

1

Source(s): Mastering The Male Orgasm http://stopprematureejaculation.emuy.info/?X6c5

just run 6 days a week, at LEAST a mile and a half everyday

read tips on workouts and more on exercises that will help you on this site

Source(s): Useful tips on almost any topic - http://www.free-tip.blogspot.com/