Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Is there anything that can help a whip lash?

I just totaled a truck, No I am not hurt besides of the fact that I think I have a whip lash, what can help, I hit a ditch trying to miss an animal and now I'm scared of even riding in a car I keep thinking were swerving over even tho m mom kept telling me we weren't, if this has happened to you did you get over it or are you still scared, ps. it just happened tonight.

Favorite Answer

your neck will bother you for the rest of your life it sucks...be sure to rest it and let it heal well!

• Steph

Hopefully the reason you know you're ok is b/c you got checked out by a dr. And I hope someone is with you to help ya with "stuff". Just rest a lot & take it easy. Sorry to say, but tomorrow morning you are gonna be real sore based on what you've said. For whatever reason the second day always hurts more. You know like when you start a workout routine. If you weren't prescribed anything then you should probably keep some basic tylenol max. strength or whatever nearby for your aches. Feel better soon : ( I would've swerved into a ditch too, to avoid an animal : )

you should have it checked out. Whiplash is an injury where the muscles get stretched and then contract sharply to protect the area. You could have tears in the muscle and other problems. Whiplash usually intensifies with time meaning you will hurt a lot more tomorrow. Go get checked out and be sure the was no injury you are not seeing like internal bleeding or brain trauma like a concussion. They hospital will give you medicine to reduce swelling and help relax the muscle, they will also offer any bracing that might be needed and tell you if you should apply ice and so on. There really could be a serious injury there so make sure there is not and then follow all directions they give you for care. If you are in this much pain now it will get worse before it gets better, best to get some meds to keep it manageable.

Your neck will not bother you for the rest of your life--unless it suffered a really catastrophic injury. If the injury was merely whip lash, it will heal.

I suffered a serious whip lash injury and it took me almost a year before it went away. I went to a chiropractor for most of that year. I had one spot in the back of my neck toward the right that just wouldn't go away. Eventually, though, it did wane. That was in 1984. I have not had a problem since.

Whip lash is a soft tissue injury, not bone. Muscles, tendons and ligaments are suddenly pulled and stretched. Imagine someone coming up behind you and suddenly pushing you violently. You know you would be unprepared and surprised.

Your neck suffered something like that. It may be sore for a while, but it will feel better if you seek treatment.

Whip lash is caused by sudden forward movement and the counter reaction by your body to prevent it. Although generally it is only muscular tearing which causes pain and restricted movement, however depending on severity there can be minor fracturing of the vertebrae. Attempting to treat this condition without consultation with your doctor and an X-ray, is tempting fate as to the longevity and severity of the complaint. In the meantime, restrict movement, place a support under your neck when lying prone and finally make an appointment for medical assistance.

take advil to reduce the swelling. also, if it it very sore today, try some heat, like a heating pad. more than likely, you will need to take advil for a while, try 800mg three times a day for now unless you have a history of internal bleeding, ulcers, or other gastric bleeding problems. the pain will more than likely be worse tomorrow and then the next day as opposed to today. a good thing to fix whiplash down the road is massage therapy - this helps to get all of the 'knots' out. that is what fixed my neck when i got in a car accident. also, try chiropractic - this can re-align your spine and make everything back aligned correctly, making you feel better.

Source(s): RN
  • ?

Go get physio for your neck. It'll take a while for you to get over it. I know I was in a rollover 27 years ago and sometimes I still feel as it the vehicle is going over too far when I'm a passenger.

Whip Cream

• Eldude

Get medical help ASAP

acu puncture is often helpful for these things , that western medicine can't resolve