Hanginf Fire by Audre Lorde?

Anyone read this poem? What does the title have to do with the poem? I have searched and searched on the web and cant find anything!!! I pretty much understand the poem itself, just not the title! Thanks anyone!!

Update:

Sorry...Hanging Fire by Audre Lorde

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The internal structures of the poem do not readily delineate the meaning of its title, "Hanging Fire." "Hanging Fire" or "holding" is an idiom, which means delaying, as in the delay between the firing of a gun and its explosion (Norton). Consider the predicament of the speaker, who is afraid that the truth about her will be revealed when she dies. She does not know when she will die, or how much time will pass, and there is "too much/ that has to be done" according to the second stanza (lines 20-21 ). In essence, she is "holding" fire. How much time will pass before her gun or "the truth" will explode? The answer to this question lies not in the speaker's literal death, but in the death of her silence. She must resolve to identify all the parts of herself, especially that which she has kept hidden, not only from the reader, but possibly from herself.

<by Zahra Johnson>

@ http://www.spelman.edu/bush-hewlett/linked/hanging...

(click on the title)

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Hanging Fire Audre Lorde Analysis

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hanging Fire Poem Analysis

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Hanginf Fire by Audre Lorde?

Anyone read this poem? What does the title have to do with the poem? I have searched and searched on the web and cant find anything!!! I pretty much understand the poem itself, just not the title! Thanks anyone!!

Source(s): hanginf fire audre lorde: https://shortly.im/m08HA
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

If you read the poem out loud, you'll hear that it doesn't use any regular pattern of rhyme. It has no rhyme scheme.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.