Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why do cats and some other animals eat their new born babies?

Favorite Answer

Just like there are some humans who shouldn't be parents, so there are some animals. The animals just tend to get it over with quickly by eating or abandonment whereas a human will punish their children their entire lives.

Sometimes this also happens when the mother is very young herself, still not grown, and/or were abandoned or not properly mothered.

Sometimes the animals' hardwired instinct to eat the umbilical cords and afterbirths don't have the 'stop at the umbilical cord' wired in. Or the litter was born at an inopportune time, i.e. when there's not enough food supply for the mother, much less a nursing mother.

Also, animals can be extremely sensitive to any illness in their offspring, including illness that won't show up until later in life as well as mental illness and/or deficiencies.

Additionally, if the father of the current litter has left the area and a new male is hanging around, oftentimes the new male will kill the young of his predecessor in order to bring the mother back into heat more quickly as well as ensuring that his genepool has dominence. Sometimes the mothers, knowing this, kill their own babies in what is a less violent way than the new male would (though it may not seem like it).

Some cats will do this if the babies are sick its like instinct to them. Some animals will also do this with their first litter (s) as they are unsure of what to do so they may get scared and attack. So sometimes making sure someone is there when the birth happens may help so you can show what is to be done and intervene (sp?) if necessary. In some cases if an animal is STARVING they feel it is the only option to survive. Its gross I know.

My dad used to have a rabbit that was constantly eating her babies. So he made a fine rabbit stew out of her.

As for cats....that just seems odd. I know that the majority of dogs and cats will simply refuse to feed the baby if there's something wrong it it, causing it to starve to death. Rodents tend to be more inclined to feast on their young.

nine times out of ten the parents can recognize a problem with the newborn that we as humans cannot detect ie.. sickness abnormalities and the such

some animals can detect if something is wrong with them like a sickness or something. and they will protect the from their preditors.

Source(s): work at petsmart

maybe the animal knew that her new born baby was sick or will be dying lately thats why she juz ate it..

I remember my cat doing this when I was little and my parents said she knew something was wrong with the kitten. -but gross!!!!

some animals feel that is the only way they can protect there young from there preditors or if something scares them too much

Source(s): documentry

Hungry?

because they know they are ill and wont live anyways, or possibly just psycho!