A cult is a religion with no political power- Tom Wolfe; agree, or disagree?

I'm not trying to bash religions here, I just found this quote to be intersting and want other people's opinions of it: a very religious Jewish friend of mine loved this quote, and I'm wondering ehat you guys think.

Favorite Answer

Like that...yes, I agree.

Tom Wolfe Religion

. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

b. The followers of such a religion or sect.

2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.

4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

5.

a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

b. The object of such devotion.

6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

From the definition, it sounds like there is a political bases in all of the forms above, they all have a leader, one to be claiming the ultimate in understanding, they all hold a bit of power of those that are following the leader or leaders, and they seem to all fit the BOARD definition of a religion. EXCEPT in your friends case, perhaps the cult just doesn't have the numbers to impress those who claim the exclusive rights to "a religion".

• Woody

It's true in some cases. You can have all kinds of political power and still be labeled a cult by the bigots. The funny thing is most of them don't even get the point Wolfe was making.

mostly true. the only difference between religion and cult is time. christianity was considered a cult when it first came out. but over time it gained a foothold and became an accepted religion.

i don't think tom wolfe was too far off there.

Wrong--but an interesting point. A cult is a first generation religion.

disagree,,,a cult is a group of people who have their own will and mind that is inconsistent with normal doctrine according to the gospel of JESUS christ and anyone who follows anything and or worships anyone besides Jesus christ. There are harmless cults and dangerous cults. Example jim jones and david coreshh dangerous ones.Also jehova witness,,,,harmless.Islam....is both i think harmless and dangerous depending on whos in charge.

• ?

A cult is not a religion, It's a group of idealists that have gone astray!! No politics involved.

Source(s): Opinion

Agree, however the people in a "cult" perhaps would beg to differ. They could believe wholeheartedly that it is a religion.

I disagree. I think a cult is any organization that uses brain-washing as a way to recruit and keep members. Just my opinion.

I totally disagree. A cult is driven by a personality that inspires others, maybe even after that person's death, like Christ.