I thought that anyone who believed in Jesus Christ was a Christian. Aparently not. Do you agree with this?

Your talking about different religions... not all are Christians... Catholics are Roman Catholic NOT Christian... Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT Christian, Apostolic is NOT Christian... and so on... Christians agree with each other just not other Religions... Christians don't argue about God or Jesus...

It is an answer from another person's question

• Woody
    Favorite Answer

When the disciples complained that some one was starting a new denomination Jesus said "If any one gives you a drink of water in my name, he shall not loose his reward."

The words of the Savior are good enough for me. Any one need a glass?

Not everyone who believes in Jesus Christ is a Christian. The demons believe in Christ, even know Him when they see Him, and they certainly are not Christian.

A Christian is a follower of Christ. A Christian is a person who has accepted Jesus Christ and the one and only way to reach heaven and fellowship with God the Father for eternity. A Christian is one who is saved, through faith, by the grace of God, through Jesus Christ. Not works, not deeds, not anything but faith, by the grace of God, through Jesus Christ. That is a Christian.

Christians acknowledge Jesus Christ (the one who was crucified) as God the Son, fully man and fully God, present and participating in the creation of the universe.

JW's deny the deity of Jesus. Classic Mormon theology (as taught by Joseph Smith and Brigham Young) assign a form of deity to Jesus, but insist that His sacrifice only atoned for Adam's sin, not the sins of the whole world (Christians believe the latter.) Catholics who don't pray to saints or Mary and trust in the sacrifice of Jesus for forgiveness ALONE are Christians...you get the idea.

Many quasi-Christian groups redefine who Jesus Christ was, but only Christians acknowledge that He was, is and will be God the Son forever. This is the dividing line...

This should stir some people. I am not a christian but I follow the teachings of Jesus. I am also a Hoodoo Root Worker, a Yoruba practitioner, and a Native American spiritualist. I have always found religion to be this giant wall between man/womankind that separates us from the divine. Ase Ase

Unfortunately this defination of the term Christian is not generally accepted as being the correct defination of Chrsitian.

For example if I say a cat is not a feline animal but is in fact a canine animal which says woof and eats dogfood this would not make this an accurate defination.

Techinically, lingusitically, and theologically speaking all the denominations you mentioned are denominations of the religion of Christainity. Although one can have you own definations of words this does not make them the correct definition to everyone else.

Although most denominations of Christianity consider all other denominations heretics this does not make them non-Christian.

Everyone who believes that Jesus was the son of god and that he died to forgive our "sins" is a Christian. End of story. There are different denominations within the religion, but belief in Jesus makes you a Christian. Full stop.

That is supposed to be true. But I think the differences are

1. Catholics pray to Mary to ask her to pray for them. (hail Mary)

Christians won't pray to Mary.

2. JW's don't believe in the Trinity. They believe that Jesus was

the Son of God, but that He deserves no praise.

Christians believe the Jesus is God (Trinity) and deserves

praise.

I'm not sure about Apostolic, I don't know what that is. I try to study on the cults and the Muslim faith, in case I come across them. Catholics are harder because they do believe in Christ, but they pray to Saints and Mary and Baptism at birth, instead of believers baptism. Plus they believe the wine during communion turns to blood in the believer. Some Catholics believe that Mary was born of a virgin too and that she ascended into heaven, when history records her death.

I think mainly when Christians argue over something, it is non-doctrinal. Like music or wine.

Based on what I've read, I believe the difference is that in order to be considered a Christian, you must believe that acknowleding that Jesus died for your sins and is your saviour is the ONLY path to God and Heaven. Not any saints or the Virgin Mary....just Jesus. Based on this definition...I'm not a Christian. I think God is open to anyone and everyone. That's just me, though :)

• nobody

Not all that believe in Jesus are Christians. Muslims believe Jesus existed, but think he was only a prophet. Satan himself knows of Jesus. It is the people who believe that Christ died for their sins that can claim the name of Christian. This is true whether they are Catholic or Protestant (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, Congregationalist, or Apostolic...etc).

Source(s): REQUIRED READING FOR A CHRISTIAN http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060652926

Some believe in a different Jesus and not the true Jesus of the scripture. Just as there can be 2 george's one brown and one white who are totally different, so it is with other's. The bible declares that Jesus is God, yet others deny this and therefore are not Christian truly. Also on the topic of believing Jesus. There are two kinds of believing. In illustration it goes like this- a man on a plane sees a parachute and believes there is one but doesnt trust it enough to jump out of the plane with it, but if He believed enough to the point that he believed "in" it he would put it on and jump. So in our circumstance we need to jump out of the crashing plane of our sin before we are destroyed. We cant fly so we need a parachute and we are not righteous enough so we need to put on Jesus who died for our sin that His blood might cleanse and make us holy before God. Even the demons believe. yet they dont trust in Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God and He said "in the last days many will come in my name saying I am Him". Watch out for deceptions like the doctrine of Mormons, Jehovahs witnesses, Muslims, Catholics though they are more near then others, and so on. Read the bible it is authoritative. Livingwaters.com Carm.org. I hope that was instructive :).

Trinitarians repeatedly pretend that Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian. Trinitarians use an artificial, trinity-specific definition of the term "Christian" which excludes anyone who does not believe that Jesus is God Himself, rather than the Son of God. Interestingly, pagans in the first century pretended that Christ's followers were Atheists(!) because the Christians had a somewhat different idea from the pagans about the nature of God.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach that no salvation occurs without Christ, that accepting Christ's sacrifice is a requirement for true worship, that every prayer must acknowledge Christ, that Christ is the King of God's Kingdom, that Christ is the head of the Christian congregation, that Christ is immortal and above every creature, even that Christ was the 'master worker' in creating the universe! Both secular dictionaries and disinterested theologians acknowledge that Jehovah's Witnesses are a Christian religion.

The Trinitarian arguments are intended to insult and demean Jehovah's Witnesses, rather than to give a Scripturally accurate understanding of the term "Christian".

In fact, the bible most closely associates being "Christian" with preaching about Christ and Christ's teachings. Review all the times the bible uses the term "Christian" and note that the context connects the term with:

"declaring the good news"

'teaching quite a crowd'

'open eyes, turn from dark to light'

"uttering sayings of truth"

"persuade"

"keep on glorifying"

(Acts 11:20-26) [The early disciples of Jesus] began talking to the Greek-speaking people, declaring the good news of the Lord Jesus... and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.

(Acts 26:17-28) [Jesus said to Paul] I am sending you, to open their eyes, to turn them from darkness to light and from the authority of Satan to God... Paul said: “I am not going mad, Your Excellency Festus, but I am uttering sayings of truth and of soundness of mind. ...Do you, King Agrippa, believe the Prophets? I know you believe.” But Agrippa said to Paul: “In a short time you would persuade me to become a Christian.”

(1 Peter 4:14-16) If you are being reproached for the name of Christ, you are happy... But if he suffers as a Christian, let him not feel shame, but let him keep on glorifying God in this name

So why do anti-Witnesses try to hijack the term "Christian" and hide its Scriptural implications? Because anti-Witnesses recognize that it is the preaching work that makes it clear that the relatively small religion of Jehovah's Witnesses are by far the most prominent followers of Christ:

(Matthew 28:19,20) Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded

Learn more!

http://watchtower.org/

http://watchtower.org/library/ti/index.htm