Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why do you think Colorado has the lowest level of obesity in the United States?

(From cnn.com 8-29-06)

Favorite Answer

Well, I think it's because people who live in Colorado don't stay inside and eat in front of the TV when they can be outside in beautiful GOD's country climbing mountains, skiing, hiking, etc. I'm only in Colorado when I'm on vacation - it is SO beautiful there. I'm not exactly skinny, but when I'm in CO, I don't even think about eating or watching TV. I'm always outside! There's a picture of me in the Maroon Bells in Aspen on my 360.

• Sass B

It's a great place for outdoor activities. The weather isn't bad either - it's far more pleasant to be outside in CO in July than it is to be outside in, say, Texas in July. Some towns in CO have also made an effort to encourage exercise by making their cities pedestrian and bicyclist friendly. Boulder comes to mind - although the cases of the munchies the typical resident routinely gets probably offset any exercise :-)

Probably because we're a state full of hippies and health freaks, because of the mountains. It attracts granola freaks. The mountains just make the greatest place to exercise.... hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, kayaking, rafting... so many things to do up there. Plus, there're a lot of rec centers here. And our state has a lot of very bicycle friendly streets, and we tend to respect bikers a lot more than most people.

Source(s): I live in CO

because they have the highest number of mountain ranges? Just a guess, but I used to live in CO and nearly everyone I knew went for weekend hiking trips in the summer and ski trips in the winter.

People lose weight climbing the hills among the mountains.

It's the beautiful outdoors! People get more exercise there.

fat don't get filled up with oxygen so it weighs less