Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Do you feel more young players want to be position players rather than pitchers since they get paid more? Why?

That could be a factor on why pitchers aren't as effective compared to back then.

Favorite Answer

In my experience coaching, young players gravitate to what they consider to be the "glory" position. For some, that's shortstop. Others prefer center field or catcher. And because players aren't pigeonholed into pitching exclusively until they reach professional ball, most of them want to pitch in addition to playing wherever else it is they want to play.

I've yet to see a kid content with playing second base or a corner outfield spot.

They may get paid more but once you get to a certain scale it is not going to make that much difference. Kids want to play whatever position they fall in love with, they dont care about the money at that age. When I was six I wasnt saying "Hey pitchers dont get paid as much as third basemen, there is no way I am going to pitch." Besides the percentage of lucky people who actually become good enough to get paid to play the american pastime is so small that I dont think kids are affected by if or that most kids parents would care.

i think that more young players want to be position players because they blow their arms out. you see how many breaking balls the kids in the LLWS were throwing. Ive read an article a couple years ago saying that most surgerys done for reconstructive elbow surgory(tommy john surgory) are on kids between 10-13 because of the stress curveballs and sliders have on their elbow. some kids probably figured out that being a position player is safer on the body. Another factor could be what player doesnt want to hit? in the al the pitchers cant bat so kids figure if they ever want to hit they have to play the field.

I don't know that I agree with the premise of this question. Who says that position players get paid more than pitchers? Pitchers are a most valuable commodity now, or at any time during MLB.

For the White Sox........ Pitcher: D.J. Carrasco - he's barely a center reliever yet on each occasion somebody should be taken out early, he consistently is presented in and backs up the starter properly. he's 4-a million with an era of three.70. inspite of the undeniable fact that, he has had to make a pair of starts wherein he struggled, so as that contributed in shifting his era up. yet in center alleviation, he has been ineffective good. place participant: Scott Podsednik - He rejoined the White Sox in might, and no person predicted plenty from him after being unsuccessful in Colorado. yet he starts interior the outfield on an accepted basis and he's hitting .296 interior the leadoff place. additionally, he has super speed so while he's on base, he's risky.

Unfortuneatly. I always said if I played baseball, I would want to sign a 10 year deal for $20 million no matter what position. What do you need $252 million for? There's no point in having 800 houses and 5600 cars.

The almighty $DOLLAR$ has a wierd way of influencing people. Go after your dream no matter how man benjimans may or may not be thrown your way.

Sincerely,

Not-Paid-2-Play

no

ther r a ton of young guns

well...theres a lot of pressure to pitch. nuff said.