is rhubarb poison to eat with an R in the month,like september etc.?

I heard that if you pick rhubarb in a month that has an R in it , it will be poisonous to eat. is this true?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can eat rhubarb stalks at any time. And not all rhubarb stalks turn red, so you don't need to be concerned about the color of the stalks, either.

You shouldn't eat the leaves because of the potential for oxalic acid poisoning. You'd have to eat a lot of rhubarb leaves to do serious harm to yourself, however. Cabbage, spinach, potatoes and peas all contain oxalic acid and most people never ingest enough to harm themselves.

• Ford
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Only eat the stalks of rhubarb when they are red. The leaves are poison. The month has nothing to do with it.

• 1 decade ago

I never heard that before, but I know that the leaves of rhubarb are poisonous, so don't eat the leaves ever!

• 1 decade ago

To kill a white tail deer or any other wild game it MUST have an "R" in the month or it will taste gamey. I think it's an old wives tale about rhubarb...?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Only the leaves are poisonous. The r in the month is for rabbit. They have worms.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The leaves are poison

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think that's oysters and clams

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

not true is the leaves that u can't eat........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.