Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why didn't the Starship Enterprise have a Baptist chaplain on Star Trek?

Favorite Answer

Dear Sweet Silly Rev, Of couse they had a baptist chaplain. He also played the role of Spock. It must have been very hard with that particular dual nautre: saving lives (something of the flesh) and saving souls (spiritual). Bless your vampire soul.

It occurs to me that all religions are based on the belief that humans are the dominant species in the universe. In Star Trek, that is clearly not the case, and presumably, most if not all of Earth's religions have been shown to be based on a fallacy.

I would love to hear what other people think about this, by the way.

In Gene Roddenberry's world of Star Trekkin', religion was passe. Only the later series allowed more spiritual characters after the 'old man' was too old to have much control over the writing.

great call Wars (the unique trilogy no longer the widespread crappy version) grow to be an action-journey and the spaceships have been styled to mirror that; great call Trek has consistently been greater approximately drama so lots of the ships are greater independent looking fairly of being warfare-ships. i admire the spaceships in the two yet great call Trek has consistently aggravated me because of the certainly ludicrous technical blunders and plot-holes. If i grow to be going to purchase a sci-fi variety, i might decide for a huge call Wars one fairly than great call Trek so i assume great call Wars wins in my case.

Because this would not be in keeping with their New Age postmodernistic "can't we all just get along" beliefs. Christianity alone stands in contrast to all other religions by saying that Jesus is the ONLY way to God. To say there was only one way to God would have required the ST world to say that there really is a right and wrong when it comes to religion.

As a former Trekkie, I used to really enjoy the stories. However, once I learned more about Christianity, I started to see just how much ST really ressembles the eastern mysticism way of thinking and is not really compatible with Christianity.

A biblical Christian of any kind never appeared on ST and never would have because the ST world didn't want to admit that Jesus is the ONLY way. Sad, huh?

There was no chaplain. Space travel exists only to disprove the existence of God.

Because people in the future are smart, and there is no room for religion in a smart society

a better question for you is "why did the hair i lost on my head grow on my lower back

Because according to the show, by that time, Earth had abolished all religions.

They hadn't met you yet, Rev Trask. If they had, you surely would have been a celebrity!

I don't think they had any Chaplains