Pelosi the power hungry liberal?

Time has an interesting take on the liberal proto-dictator Nancy Pelosi. "Anybody knows not to mess with me." In the coming congressional elections either Republicans will be allowed to continue serving the people for the greater good of the country or Nancy Pelosi will finally get hold of real power.... show more Time has an interesting take on the liberal proto-dictator Nancy Pelosi. "Anybody knows not to mess with me."

In the coming congressional elections either Republicans will be allowed to continue serving the people for the greater good of the country or Nancy Pelosi will finally get hold of real power. Long term, Republicans win either way.

Nancy Pelosi leads the Democrats with a fiery style that could make her the first woman Speaker of the House. ~Time.com

What might a congress led by Nancy-Pelosi-with-real-power look like? Likely it will look just like her 'leadership' over the House Democrats now. Iron-fisted and, dare I say, nasty.

...Would your grandmother ever say, "If people are ripping your face off, you have to rip their face off" (Pelosi's approach to handling attacks from Republicans)? How about "If you take the knife off the table, it's not very frightening anymore" (her explanation for why she won't let voters forget George W. Bush's unpopular Social Security proposal from last year)?

The 66-year-old San Francisco lawmaker is an aggressive, hyperpartisan liberal pol who is the Democrats' version of Tom DeLay,... ~Time.com
To say that she is a divider and not a uniter would be vastly understating the obvious. Nancy Pelosi is the kind of mean-spirited limousine liberal Rush Limbaugh has warned you about, lo, all these many years. (She knows what's good for you better than you do yourself.) And in the House, it's been her way or the highway. Apparently dividing America is a good thing if Democrats are doing it, (but of course Bush should get the blame for the division thus created).

"Anybody knows not to mess with me."

Just to give you an idea of how scary she might be as an 'iron-fisted' leader, inputing the terms "Pelosi," and "iron fist," returns a press release with the title, "Pelosi Would Make a Good House Speaker," on the democraticleader.house.gov website. Interesting.

So am I scared? Actually, I'm the definition of ambivalence. I can't decide if her ascendance to the speakership would be more delicious than her inevitable defeat. But I doubt that the Democratic party will be able to take the required seats in congress to seize power anyway. The looming spectre of the partisan witchhunt and impeachment of Bush doesn't help either.

That's not the only issue with Pelosi. Even her supporters acknowledge she's not the ideal spokeswoman for the Democrats in public. When she's not making clumsy remarks, like bragging earlier this year that one of the biggest benefits of a Democratic takeover of Congress would be "subpoena power," she's mind-numbingly repeating whatever talking points the party has agreed on that week or indulging her love of alliteration: "People, politics, policy" and "Money, message, mobilization." The charitable view of her often disjointed speaking style is that she's someone who thinks faster than she talks. The uncharitable view is that "she's Teresa Heinz without the accent," as one Democratic activist said. ~Time.com

It's too bad that the Democratic party has taken such a left-turn for the worst-- further to the left than ever before. Nancy Pelosi is evidence of this fact as is Howard Dean and a host of other voices on the left now predominant.

But what makes this truly sad is that, in the end, this leftward shift hurts America by creating greater division and making it harder to repeal the leftist policies already in place. Because even though Republicans have been in power for several years the leftist policies of the last forty years have still to be repealed in any substantial way.

There's a saying in latin, "Aegrescit medendo," the disease worsens with the treatment (the remedy is worse than the disease) and so it is with the panoply of liberal solutions peddled by the Democratic Party.
4 answers 4