mary asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Is there any cure about grinding teeth while sleeping..?

I have this cousin of mine we always tease, that we need to prod her just to make her stop by grinding her teeth lol while sleeping, is there any cure about this kind of thing or is there any meaning when she do this .

Favorite Answer

I don't know if this is common, but I've been told that it sometimes happens when the person has a stuffed nose. We have noticed that our 5 yo does is sometimes when coming down with something and having a hard time breathing. Maybe she could try taking some allergy pills before sleeping.

I have also heard it could be stress, which seems to make sense.

Hope this helps.

There are lots of reasons for grinding teeth, some of which are medical in nature. It's best to have her seen by a doctor or dentist to determine the cause. Short term fix can be a plastic mouth guard which you can purchase at your local sporting goods department (WalMart or Target, etc). Just be sure to follow the directions on the package for how to prepare it for use. They're about $10, and worth every penny if ya'll get a good night's sleep.

There's not really a cure, but she can wear a mouth guard that will keep her from grinding her teeth down to nothing. My wife wears one. You can get them from the dentist, which is pretty expensive, or you can just get one from the pharmacy for about $20. You can also use a football mouth guard, which is cheaper, but funny looking and uncomfortable.

Sometimes it's just bc of stress and will go away when the stress goes away, but if it's chronic then there is probably no "cure" and u will need 2 get a nightguard 2 protect ur teeth.

She should probably see a dentist and get fitted for a mouth guard to protect her teeth. Just be aware that many dental insurances do not cover them (mine doesn't).

I've seen "boil your own" versions at CVS, but I understand it's a good idea to have one fitted if she can afford it.

This just hapened to a friend of mine. She went to the dentist and got her teeth ground down, plus they gave her a dental device to wear at night. It was creating severe pain in her jaw, so much so that she thought she had an abcess tooth.

They make mouth guards for this.

You look like a nice grind too.

Hard to say, but there are devices she can wear to prevent the destruction of her teeth. Talk to the dentist

my sisters dentist gave her this thing that they molded to her front teeth so she could not bite down all the way

yea.....STOP!!!