Justme_xoxo asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Can a Goldfish live in plain tap water???

Or do you have to add something to the water to balance the toxins in it?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    Tap water is generally fine. The biggest issue is that tap water is treated with chlorine and/or chloramines which can damage fish gills. Buy a good tap water conditioner for fish to remove this before using it for the fish. Amquel is a good brand. You add some to the tap water and it is ready to go.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    When I was little I got some guppies and goldfish and the pet store said I should set a gallon of water to the side for 24 hrs before putting the fish in it to let the clorine evaporate out of the tap water. It worked

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Deffinately no tap water!

    You don't necessary need the "chemical" to balance the toxins but AT LEAST use drinking water.

    Also they like plants from the river and stuff so keep it "organic"!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Well I assume a goldfish can live in plain tap water since tap water has natural minerals in it.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    yes they can, just when you change the water everyday, let the water sit for a few minutes before you put the fish back in so that way the chemicals that are in the water will evaporate and then the water should be ok

  • 1 decade ago

    They can live in tap water for a few weeks if you boil the water first and then let it cool. The water should also be changed regularly.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes but it is better for the fish if you let the water sit for 24 hours before you pour it in.

    The chemicals will settle and make it easier for the fish to breath.

    Source(s): I have had many goldfish in my 48 years here on earth.
  • 1 decade ago

    depends on the water. for water thats chlorinated and flouridated you should leave the water for a day in the sun so that the chemicals can evaporate. for well water let it sit until its room temperature. when you fill whatever container you have, try to do it in such a way that you get bubbles in the water. this ensures theres enough oxygen dissolved in the water for your fish to live in.

  • 1 decade ago

    Sure can. Just let the water sit for a day or so and get rid of all the air bubbles. Then put in it's bowl and away they will swim.

    Source(s): 50 years life experience
  • 1 decade ago

    Yes they can but it is better for them if the water is dechlorinated. Let the water sit for a few days and the chlorine will dissapate to tolerable levels if you don't want to use pet store chemicals.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.