Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Can anyone recommend a good book to read?

I have read all published books of authors: J. A. Jance, Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham, Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffrey, Dee Henderson, Jan Karon, and Janet Evanovich. This month I think my favorite author is J. D. Robb; I feel like I know Eve. I wish she had a new book coming out. I am looking for a new author. I like murder mysteries, Christian fiction, hard sci-fi, detective fiction.

• Rose D
    Favorite Answer

I tend to recommend authors as opposed to individual books. I also like hard SF, so here are some suggestions.

For hard SF with a cyberpunk flavor, try William Gibson or Neal Stephenson. Gibson's Neuromancer trilogy is excellent. I love Snow Crash by Stephenson, and Cryptonomicon is good as well.

Sheri S Tepper writes an interesting brand of hard SF that's hard to describe. I'd recommend either Grass or Beauty as good novels to read by her.

Connie Willis has some time travel novels (Doomsday Book and To Say nothing of the Dog) that mix SF, romance and comedy. I love both of them.

If you've never read any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, give them a try. If you've ever read Douglas Adams and liked his work, you'll like Pratchett as well.

Douglas Adams - if you've never read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, go out and do it now.

Neil Gaiman - excellent writer. Neverwhere is a particular favorite of mine. Lots of people recommend American Gods, but I prefer Neverwhere. He and Terry Pratchett wrote a book called Good Omens, which is a comedy about the apocalypse. It's great.

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - they write thrillers with a SF twist to them, and are best known for Relic. There's a whole series featuring characters from that novel, and they're all pretty good thrillers. These guys are good rainy day reading.

The Kite Runner by Hosseini Khaled

Tully by Paullina Simons

The Stand by Stephen King

The Left Behind Series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins

There are a lot of good ones out there. The best one I've found was King Fortis the Brave by LaMontagne and Snyder. It's about a pair of twins that are pulled into a magical land where they find themselves caught in the middle of a battle for control of the realm. The boy twin, Rodney, is mistaken for King Fortis, an Arthur-like figure that is to someday return in the time of the land's greatest need. It's really a great book full of humor and adventure. I recommend it to my students all the time and have had students that really hate to read come back and tell me how much they love it.

the Legend of the Guardian Kings series by Karen Hancock are very good Christian Fiction. I also really like Black Swan and Green Rider.

Amazon.com recommended a book to me that I tried and loved. It's called "The Hunt Chronicles: Volume I" (2) murder mysteries about 100 pages each. Very good.

Source(s): reader

Cane River, gap creek, Sleep in Heavenly Peace, Murder on the rails, The bad place, the Stand

I'm not sure if you know that J.D. Robb is actually Nora Roberts, you should try some of her books. She has some good individual books and some wonderful series books that take you into families. Once I pick up one of her books, I can't put them down!

Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes or any of the books by Peter Mayle who wrote the books about his experience in Provence.

I love Sue Grafton's Alphebet series. A is for alibi, etc. They are about a detective in S. California and they are halarious. I hope you check them out.

The Shakespeare stealer