Teachers: Why do you spend time on this forum advising people after spending an entire day doing the same?

I teach high school students with behavioral and emotional disorders. I am around kids all day long teaching, advising, counseling, reprimanding, then I come on the forum at night and do the same. Am I crazy? Why do you come on the forum after teaching all day long? I prefer the human interaction rather than the passive gawking of the "boob tube." Besides, I keep learning about kids, society, and human nature.

• crispy
    Favorite Answer

Because teaching isn't just something I do: it's something that I am. Likewise, a lot of people like us who like to help others are drawn to the field of teaching. A lot of teachers are creative, so like us, doing something interactive and challenging is more fun than just TV all the time. I really like the mental callisthenics of answering questions.

I think you have nailed it... human interaction, stimulation, and continued learning. I love to learn new things, and I also get great pleasure from truly feeling like I've been able to help someone. That is why I teach! I love the challenge of figuring out how to help someone (that say, has a behavior disorder). I love the look of adoration from my preschoolers. I love feeling useful and needed. I love learning about syndromes and disorders. And I love that I get paid to do what I love! My husband has asked me a few times why I come on here to help others with answers.... I just like being helpful. Glad to know there are more people like me out there!!

Source(s): special ed preschool teacher

Maybe you are trying to counter some of the idiocy getting thrown around in here. Hopefully, a teacher would have an interest in making trying to help people find answers and filter out junk information (that might do harm anyway). Teachers also tend to love learning, at least to a point. This place definetly can help you learn about people and anonymous behavior, if nothing else.

Once I noticed that people were getting horrible information and that a number of school-aged kids are spending time here, I felt that I had to help. Teenagers can come here and ask questions that they don't want to have to ask people face to face and I've seen some horrible info being spread around. And so, I feel that I must, just as I feel that I must work very dilligently on my lesson plans for each day.

Helping children is in the blood of teachers. We simply cannot walk away from helping if people are asking our opinion on how to help kids learn. You are not crazy--I do the same thing. :) And I also learn some new things as well.

In a way this is a break from other things. I like to share what I know and I know that I am giving helpful information.

Some of the beginning teachers who post seem in total desperation. It is nice that there are people who can guide them and give them reassurance and encouragement. And there are so many people that give goofy answers like "I don't know" that I think I am needed to help with the sanity!

Ask yourself this. Is teaching what I do or who I am?

Well...for me work hasn't started yet....but I am sure when it does life will pull me away into the madness.....

GREAT QUESTION- What you guys do is so difficult, dont know how you do it. You need a distraction