Is prick a swear word?

I had mentioned the word prick to a kid and got in trouble for swearing. I never thought this qualified as a swear word. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

It is not a swear word....but it is a slang word that is not always accepted. If I heard one of my children calling one of the people that they know (this includes someone that they might not like or always agree with) a _____, I would be disappointed in them and ask them to watch their language.

I don't care what kid you were talking to, he knew the meaning of the word. There are no more secrets or areas of discovery for most kids given what they have access to. Which leads me to the question, how could you get in trouble? What words haven't they heard by first grade. Very sad.

It is a word which must be used in context to not be a "swear word." "I pricked my finger" is the correct usage. When used as a noun it takes on a different meaning. Frankly, I think you knew that. You just wanted to hear all of us say the word.

Source(s): school yard

It's not technically a swear word, but really not said in polite company. It obviously refers to the male genitalia, but has taken on a much different meaning over the last few years.

It depends on the context. You can prick your finger, but if it's used to refer to something else, it can be a swear word.

Prick has more than one meaning:

1. a puncture made by a needle, thorn, or the like.

2. penis.

3. an obnoxious or contemptible person.

In which way did you intend the meaning as you used the word?

would you call your two year old son a prick. if you answer no then it is a swear word if you answered yes you are sick and need medical attention.

Depends on how you use it.Did you say I PRICKED my finger or did you call someone a PRICK? Therein lies the difference!

websters called it a minor stick or piercing. if you had said penis they would probably have killed you fourty years ago prick was common slang for a penis but you don,t hear it as often these days

No but it's not a nice word

prick-impolite-a man's penis; offensive-an insulting word for a man that you think is stupid, rude or unpleasant

Source(s): macmillan english dictionary