Vodka asked in Computers & InternetInternet · 1 decade ago

AOL scr*wing anyone else?

Over 3 years ago I made the mistake of using aol for 6 months at an apartment I lived in where I coudln't use my high speed internet modem. After I moved I cancelled my account. Here it 3 years later and I get a bill from a debt collector, NCO Financial Systems INC, stating that I owe 119.50 to aol. I contact aol and they say they can't help me with debts that have been turned over to debt collectors. I contacted NCO several times before I finally got through to a voice mail and they still haven't gotten back with me. Is this just another one of aol's scams? Selling fake outstanding debts to debt collectors. It was has been 3 years since I used aol and I never received any bills or oustanding account notices. What can I do?

Favorite Answer

Did you get a confirmation of cancellation @ that time if so send a copy to the company! Also check with the BBB on the collection agency, three years before any contact sounds suspect.

• Larry

AOL is known for the worst practices. Sad. But realistically, apart from who's right and who's wrong, is it worth $119.50 to you to have your credit destroyed by a collection agency?

aol SUCKS, they tried to do the same to me, but i sent them the note back saying i didnt owe them anything, and that seemed to do it. They are A holes...i only use them because i get them for 9 bucks a month from work....can't wait to switch to hispeed to get rid of them

Welcome to AOHELL.i actually called and made sure my account would not work when i shut it off. i had allready heard about the strong arming technique. he told me that i was more or less stupid and refused to shut it off. i even asked to speak to his supervisor,he told me he was the supervisor. i told him i was going to hang up and speak to a lawyer about the way they do business, he then processed my request and went down fighting the whole way. when i couldnt log in anymore i hung up on his ignorant a**

Anyone else who's using them. They just don't know it yet.