promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
bill asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevision · 1 decade ago

Was there cable tv in 1970's and if so how much did it cost per month?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, cable television got its start in the US in 1948 when John Walson of Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania. He owned an appliance store and wanted to sell televisions. There was just one problem. The mountains surrounding Mahanoy City blocked the broadcast signal from the Philadelphia stations. So, Walson set up an antenna on the top of one of the mountains and ran a cable into town. He hooked up some signal amplifiers and started selling the service.

From here the service spread and became more popular as technology improved. The first pay service (Home Box Office or HBO) began in 1972 in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. HBO has gone on to become the biggest pay service on cable.

I am sorry, but none of my sources seem to tell how much cable TV cost back then.

BTW, according to Wikipedia, the first cable system was actually set up in the United Kingdom in 1938.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, and in fact there was cable in the 60's. It was used in areas that were too far from a TV antennae to receive signals. The cable only delivered the 3 major networks and PBS.

The cost for cable servicxe in Tyler TX in 1968 was $3 a month

• TJ
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Cable television started in 1948 (I kid you not).

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcab...

It was intended to provide television to places which were too remote to get reception from broadcasting stations.

HBO was started as a Pay TV service in 1972. HBO was initially a cable service, and its growth helped spur the development of paid cable as we now know it.

http://www.telecom.ksu.edu/cable/history.html

or

http://www.ansh.com/cable/cable022.HTM

I have no idea how much it cost in the early days.

• 1 decade ago

There was something called cable in the late 70s (I think - I was young) but it was very different from how we recognise it today. Where I grew up everyone had three channels. With cable we had twelve, and that seemed like enough.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LORD Z
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes but not to the extent that it is today and mainly in major cities. Look up Zee TV. It went for up to around 40 dollars depending on howmany channels you received.

• MOVING
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yea it came around in the early 80's I believe 82 is correct. If there was in the 70's never heard about it.

• 1 decade ago

Not that I know of. I think cable made it big time debut in like 82 or so. But I may be wrong.

• 1 decade ago

I could have sworn Cable came out in the mid 80's.

Still don't remember how much they charged back then.

• 1 decade ago

I had cable in 1975 and it cost $6.50 for basic monthly service.

• 1 decade ago

Naw, Cable didn't come out til like the eighties.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.