Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

Explain: "Why do look at the speck of sawdust in your brothers eye and no attention to the plank in your eye?"

• MAK
    Best Answer

The bible says do not look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye -instead take the plank of wood out of your own. This means basically instead of criticizing a person's small faults -do something about your huge faults first.

Speck Of Sawdust

This is a quotation of Jesus from Luke 6:41 in the Bible. Verse 42 goes on: "How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye', when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." A similar passage appears in Matthew 7:3-5.

Jesus was using hyperbole (an exaggerated example) to show how hypocritical it is for us to criticize someone for a minor fault (represented by the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye) while remaining blind to our own considerable faults (a whole plank of wood in your own eye).

Source(s): The NIV Study Bible.

Why do you notice anothers occasional inability to see (because of a speck of sawdust in the eye), when you ignore your own blindness (a plank or board in the eye)?

Basically, it asks why does one see others faults much easier than their own, even though theirs own faults are much greater.

Luke 6:41,42, Here Jesus is basically saying to His disciples and the people gathered around him, that unless one cleans up his own heart there is no need for him to try to help someone else to clean up their heart.

Someone else said in the answers, that He is talking about judging and He is. The only way someone can help ANYONE is to have a humble loving heart. One can not have a plank protruding out of his eye and try to remove a splinter from someone else.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awOc5

I agree with you on this point. Let he without sin cast the first stone! Now with that being said.....If we follow Gods word he tells us things that we should not do. He does have rules and he doesn't say all is good. The difference is he has authority we don't. I have a very close friend who is a homosexual. I don't agree with it..but I don't talk about it to him. It's his choice. Is it his right to point out every sin I do. No it is not. It's just that some of his sins are easier to see. In many aspects he is a great man. I don't preach to him....I let Jesus's words do the talking.

It's much easier to see the faults in others than to see your own

Basically that its easier to see the mistakes of another and judge them for them than to focus on yourself and your own faults and correct them.

How can you judge someone else when you have so many faults of your own

its just like why do u look at his sin but not see ur own.