reading fluency?

teaching reading strategies

Favorite Answer

This is a sore point with me in the modern classroom today. For some reason, some educators are under the impression that reading fast is reading well.

I have always taught my students that reading is primarily for understanding - either for the reader or the listener. Reading fluency is mainly about reading aloud to a listener or listeners. In order to be understood, it is important to enunciate clearly, pronounce the words correctly, and pay attention to punctuation.

Reading fluency is also about continuity. One word after another, one sentence after another. Compare reading to music. Music has a rhythm based on tempo, notes, rests. etc. which comes together to build a song. Just because someone can play a five minute song in three minutes does not make him a better musician than another. Reading is the same. Reading has a flow, a rhythm to it.

Sorry, had to vent!

Now about teaching reading strategies. If fluency was the purpose, I always let the student read the article, story, or poem to himself first. Then, I would have them read it to me aloud with emphasis on clarity and cadence by paying attention to punctuation. Practice fluency with poetry which lends itself well to rhythm and not to speed. Do the same with your child.

In some classrooms, they have speed reading drills where the students are expected to read orally a passage as quickly as they can. However, if you ask any student about what they just read, very few can tell you. Just what is the purpose? To get them ready to read exclusions at the end of television car advertisements? To read Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in less than thirty seconds? Children should not be exposed to this type of "instruction" in class.

If this type of reading was relevant to real life, then we could watch a half-hour television show in ten minutes or listen to the President's State of the Union Address in about twenty minutes. (Heeeeyyy! Wait a minute!! Perhaps I should reconsider my position on speed reading in schools!! LOL )

Thanks for the great question. Contact me if you need any clarification about my views.

Source(s): Regular classroom teacher and Special Education teacher

I was an Infants teacher for 38 years and still go 2 days a week as a volunteer to help kids learn to read. Fluency comes when a child can recognise each word quickly and doesn't lose the "sense" of each sentence before they get to the end. I get them to read through the text, helping with any words they don't recognise after they've had a go at them- making sure they understand what each sentence means as we go along. It doesn't matter how long this first reading takes. Then we go back and do a second reading, which will be faster than the first, because they will remember more of the words, then we have another try, always encouraging them with comments like "you are getting much faster now! Good work! You only needed help with 2 words that time!" etc. If they are older children I time them, so they can see how much they have improved.( They must always improve- you may have to fudge the figures!) It is important that the text they are working on is appropriate to their reading ability. It is also helpful to read the piece to them using expression and fluency and model how it "should" sound. There is a limit ! Don't go on and on until they are bored to death with the passage. Hope this helps!

It's probable to pay a lot of time and money searching for ways to train your children how to learn and boost their studying skills. Is hard to show a tiny kid how to learn, and actually tempting them to read is difficult in itself. Nonetheless it doesn't need to be this way when you got assistance from this system https://tr.im/Ij4Zr , Children Learning Reading program.

With Children Learning Reading you may teach your son or daughter how to separate your lives sounds and separate phrases into phonemes, a vital point when your child is simply learning to spell.

The examining program from Children Learning Reading program allows you for kids to see rapidly and precisely, from simple words to phrases till they learn to see stories.