difference between limewire and torrents?

what are the downfalls of limewire. i use torrents mostly. i need input. thanks

system admin guy

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, both technologies fall under P2P, however, they also vary greatly. Limewire allows you to share any files you want with any other user using Limewire. It's kinda like how Napster used to work. The theory of how Limewire works is very similar to Kazaa. It uses a decentralized sharing philosophy. What this means is that the files are hosted on the respective user's computer and not in a central location. When you search for a file, the search query simply looks at all the computers that have that file.

Torrents however work differently. They also can be considered as P2P, however, the clients vary greatly. In torrents, you have seeders and leechers. Seeders are the ones who have the complete file intact and leechers are the ones who are downloading the files from the seeders. Once your download is complete, you atuomatically become a seeder. In torrents, there is an ethical unwritten rule that states once you become a seeder, you should continue seeding the file as long as possible. This allows the torrents to stay alive (no more seeders basically means the death of the torrent file) and be spread to more users.

You should visit the respective sites listed in my reference for more detailed information. There is quite a bit I left out to keep my answer simple for you. It is my experience that Torrents are generally more reliable than other P2P. However, you are easily susceptible to RIAA/MPAA/FBI investigations and court orders using either network. Many clients now come with an IP blocking feature or keep your IP address blocked so that others cannot view it. Be sure to share only legal files for which you have ownership and never violate copryright/patent laws.

• Login to reply the answers
  • emch
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Limewire Torrent

• 1 decade ago

Limewire is a P2P tool which directly scans the source for the files, whereas torrents are just links posted in the sites. these link files have the address to connect to source and download required data(files). Limewire can expose all data in the shared portion of the computer that is plugged to Limewire...

As per my exp. Limewire is good in terms of search results, you can see the rating, size at one go...

kev

• Sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axQ63

i didn't like limewire, there seems to be too many viruses and couldn't download complete albums.. i use uTorrent a smaller version of bittorrent then use other sites for downloads, never had any problems with it, fast, get the latest films and albums etc, think its a matter of personal choice but i wouldn't use anything else now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Great question

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

I too have the same question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.