Do doctor's give oral drops for babies against diahrrea?

My cousin's doctor gave her baby oral drops that contained a LIVE VIRUS stating that she will build an immunity against a diahrreal infection. Is this normal and does anyone know what it's called?

The baby is about 5 months old - the doctor put the drops in the babies mouth and immediately the baby reacted and spit it out. My cousin put her hand under her chin and caught the drops/spit and then the dr told her "GO WASH YOUR HANDS IMMEDIATELY - IT CONTAINED A LIVE VIRUS" I have never heard of anything like this before and I have a baby. The baby didn't even have an infection or diahrrea - she was just in to get her routine 6 month shots, what the heck???

Favorite Answer

FDA is announcing the approval of RotaTeq™, a new vaccine for the prevention of rotavirus gastroenteritis in infants. RotaTeq™ is the only US licensed vaccine that effectively prevents a viral infection, called rotavirus that may cause diarrhea, vomiting, fever and dehydration.

Apparently, there's a new oral vaccine that's being given, although your cousin's baby is a bit old for receiving it for the first time. Here's a link for you, so you can read up on it:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:RIzgLEpTTy0J:ww...

I recently took my 2 month old for his first shots. They are giving a rotovirus vacination to keep children from getting the stomach virus that is started from the rotovirus. My son got it and had really loose stools for a day and seems fine now. They will get three doses total from now until 32 months of age.

no, i have never heard of that, my son had diahrrea and they said there was nothing they could do for an infant. told me he had rotovirus and just to keep him hydrated and there was nothing safe to give them.