Can I get a Civil Union?

Let's forget about Marriage, that's a religious termonology that should stay with them, it should stay with a man and a woman. How about a Civil Union then, where the Govt. will recognize me and my partner as a joint couple, where we can do joint income tax, visit her at the hospital during family only hours, buy a house in both our names as a Joint couple, and so forth.

• Pam
    Favorite Answer

That is completely reasonable. Marriage should be reserved for men and women. Civil Unions for everyone else. There no reason why 2 grown people cannot their share assets with whomever they wish. You have my vote!

Yes, Masachusetts will give you one provided you are a resident of the state. Residency requirements force the couple to be married to have lived here for a specific amount of time (not sure how long, but I think its a few months). Massachusetts structures their civil unions this way because they don't want people travelling to the state specifically to get a civil union and then taking it back to their home state.

• Petition the state legislature and you may well get that. Ultimately the people, acting through their representatives, decide.

Good luck.

PS I would guess there are groups working on this already. Everyone gets a chance to be heard, if they take it.

• ?

Yes, go to Holland or Denmark!!