Can I get a Civil Union?

Let's forget about Marriage, that's a religious termonology that should stay with them, it should stay with a man and a woman. How about a Civil Union then, where the Govt. will recognize me and my partner as a joint couple, where we can do joint income tax, visit her at the hospital during family only hours, buy a house in both our names as a Joint couple, and so forth.

4 Answers

  • Pam
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    That is completely reasonable. Marriage should be reserved for men and women. Civil Unions for everyone else. There no reason why 2 grown people cannot their share assets with whomever they wish. You have my vote!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yes, Masachusetts will give you one provided you are a resident of the state. Residency requirements force the couple to be married to have lived here for a specific amount of time (not sure how long, but I think its a few months). Massachusetts structures their civil unions this way because they don't want people travelling to the state specifically to get a civil union and then taking it back to their home state.

  • Petition the state legislature and you may well get that. Ultimately the people, acting through their representatives, decide.

    Good luck.

    PS I would guess there are groups working on this already. Everyone gets a chance to be heard, if they take it.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Yes, go to Holland or Denmark!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.