Grow lights for indoor plants?

I need to set up some indoor grow lights for my plants, they need a bit more light than they're getting and I can't keep em outside (they're desert plants and I live in the north of england!)

Could anyone tell me what I need to set something up as cheap as possible. I know I could get a set up one for 60-100 quid but I don't really have that much money to spend, is there a cheaper alternative?

Links to where to buy would be cool too



LMAO! I appreciate the comments about weed, wish I were, I'd be rich! They are bonsai though, so sorry to disappoint, no free samples for the best answer ;)

15 Answers

  • Cassie
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    I have always had grow lights in my houses. Don't know what a quid the US I buy exposed 2 foot fixtures for two grow light bulbs for about 10 dollars. I attach each fixture on the bottom side of a shelf......about 14 inches apart and grow anything in side. We have Lowes and Home Depot, etc.....don't know what stores are in England, but these fixtures are very cheap ....less expensive than the gro lights. Good luck.. There is a BIG difference in gro lights and regular flourescents....your electric bill will never know the difference!!!!

  • 1 decade ago

    When you use professional grow lights like "High pressure sodium" or "Metal halide" lamps make sure there is a good ventilation system because they produce some heat. If you plan on growing very sensitive plants the ventilation has to be set up like a closed system, with good filters in place.

    Most plant and garden centers have them, but you can also find them in most electrical/hardware stores.

    Do a search on those stores near to you. Good luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    I understand that if you were growing a "cash crop" you could purchase grow lights from a greenhouse supplyer.

    purchase 4' shop lights fit them with FULL SPECTRUM bulbs, I keep mine about 6-10" above the plants (africian violets) they work fine.

  • 1 decade ago

    You could try a shop that sells fish & Aquariums. I believe the light used by them is more like daylight than normal flourescent tubes

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dave
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Go to a hardware store and buy flourescent shop lights. They are inexpensive, and do a pretty good job as grow lights.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    I brought some quite decent growing lights here:

    Guys are very professional, go have a look.

  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    It Will probably cost you thirty bucks a month to run the lights...why don't you just move to the desert.

    Source(s): The Wiznit
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago


  • 1 decade ago

    What you do mean by grow lights?That sound weird. Couldn't you use a lamp?

  • 1 decade ago

    They are called daylight bulbs.

    Do you sell your crop or isit for your own use?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.