Mike S
Mike S asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

What's your favorite champagne?

Also, if you've had Cold Duck Champagne, have you found something that you like better? Ten points will be given :)

Favorite Answer

Salon is the best I have had. It has a hint of a smokey or rich taste. My next favorite is Grand Dame, then Dom. Respectively these are perhaps $160, $130 and $120 a bottle, however, and not what I would call daily drinkers unless your last name happens to be Trump or Hilton. There are all sorts of decent sparkling wines for a modest budget, and certainly far better than Cold Duck. You can get a very nice light bottle of Prosecco, an Italian sparkling wine for about $9. Moutadon, a decent inexpensive champagne is about the same. Middle priced ($30-35 per bottle) it is hard to go wrong with Piper-Heidsick, Tattinger or Veuve-Cliquot.

I think Korbel is about the best value over all for the dryer "Champagnes" or sparkling wines. Only about 10 to 15 dollars/bottle. I really think it takes an expert to appreciate the sparkling wines in the 100 dollar and up category. I wouldn't recommend them unless you have money to burn. If you do, then enjoy!

But if you like Cold Duck I would definitely recommend going up a notch and trying Asti Spumante, a sparkling dessert wine in about the same price range as Korbel.

As a note, under just about any given brand you can find the type of "Champagne" or sparkling wine that suits your taste.

Brut is very very dry. No hint of sweetness

Extra Sec of Extra dry is only slightly "sweeter" or less dry

Sec is sweeter than Extra Dry

Demi-sec is sweet, a dessert wine

Doux is very sweet, a dessert wine.

Moet and Chandon Brut Imperial as well although I haven't had any in a while. I do like the sparkling wines that a lot of the Ontario wineries make using the methode champenoise style though.

I had Cristal champagne at my best friends wedding and it was very bubbly. I was tipsy after 3 or for cups but then again I had nothing to eat before.

White star

I like Martini & Rossi, but technically it's sparkling wine since it is made in Italy. Not too dry, good bubbles.

Dom Perignon... special occasion

Dom Perrion..or whatever u spell it.

xo or cognac