what is "office culture" and how to define a desirable one?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Workplace Culture is the social context in which work and other interactions take place. It's "the way things get done around here," in other words. It's the on-the-ground expression of the values, routines, and practices that govern not just work (the way policies and procedures do), but the interactions that people have while they're working.

What is desirable in workplace cultures depends largely on what kind of work is being done. Financial Services companies, for example, tend to be very hierarchical and control-oriented with lots of deference to authority and frequently quite a micro-managerial style. This sort of culture emphasizes control over innovation. It's obviously not a desirable culture for say, an advertising agency where innovation and creativity would be more highly valued.

You can experience corporate cultures easily by interacting with companies that are really known for their cultures. Nordstrom, the North American retailer, is a great example of a powerful customer-service culture.

Source(s): Organizational Culture & Leadership by Edgar Schein Diagnosing & Changing Organizational Culture with the Competing Values Framework by Cameron & Quinn Corporate Culture & Performance by John Kotter
  • 3 years ago

Define Desirable

• 1 decade ago

An office culture is that set of informal operational "rules" unique to that organization. For examples, some offices' dress codes are strictly business/professional all the time. Others have "casual Fridays." Others still are casual all the time. Some celebrate holidays and significant events by going out to lunch while in others management will pay for catered events. In still others, management stays out of it but allows the staff some time to hold "pot lucks" organized and paid for by the employees. In some companies non-management level employees may bring in items such as candy bars or Girl Scout cookies to sell to raise funds for their kids' organizations while other companies forbid the practice.

Office culture do's and don't's are seldom written down anywhere or otherwise formalized. New employees, either new hires or transfers coming in from other departments, would do well to pay close attention to what may be expected of them informally in their new culture.

How does one define a desireable one? That's pretty subjective. Few aspects of an office culture are purposely intended to be offensive or insensitive but some can be. An example might be that a Muslim, Jew or atheist might take offense if forced to participate in a Christmas gift exchange party that didn't recognize the winter celebrations of their religious or nonreligious beliefs. Gay or lesbian employees may have to decline invitations where employees are expected to bring their spouses. Each employee will have to decide which cultural events can be participated in and which must be respectfully declined.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a company culture is basically how things are done, the way people interact, etc. just like american culture is the way things are done in america.

a desirable one completely depends on the situation. Is your company customer based? If there are customers coming in and out, it might be a little more formal - business dress code, little to no pictures hung up at desks, little to no talking or socializing tolerated, etc. If there are no customers to impress, you can afford to be a little more laid back (although many do not like this). Some offices allow employees to wear jeans every day, play music out loud, decorate their desks like crazy, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is "office culture" and how to define a desirable one?

Source(s): quot office culture quot define desirable one: https://tinyurl.im/JBSej
  • Tina
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avH86

In my opinion, freedom means to act within your boundaries. I would say these "boundaries" are moral boundaries. Without these "boundaries", there is no such thing as freedom because the Human mind would not realize the benefit and essence of freedom if it can do what it want's, where it wants and how it wants it in an infinite space. You can not realize something if you have that something that goes on forever. If you had unlimited money, you would not realize the gift of money. You would not realize the intricacy of your knowledge if you had unlimited knowledge. The same meanings and analogies apply to freedom. Over the ages however, the meaning of freedom has changed. Today it is just saying what you want without no one telling you off. People do not realize that this is not freedom. Now thanks to the "modern way" of "freedom", we have wars in Iraq, the issue about Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) cartoons used and the rapid image of the Western world changing. This modern word seems like quite a paradox to me. Hopefully, many people won't be slaves to their own emotions.

• 1 decade ago

office culture is the prevailing norm and way of life in an office setting. a desirable office culture is the type wherein each elements in the office developed relationships and way of life that are aimed towards the common good.

• Yvonne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I would define freedom as a state of being where I am able to make choices that are not influenced by my passions, options, security, relationships with others, fear etc... I am only as free as I am able to detach from these things. Yes, I do think freedom does exist! Anyone that has been on the brink of despair and came back knows this to be true because they discover that their pain lies in the attachment to whatever is causing the distress. All these things are imperfect and they will leave me still wanting. ……for thou hast made us for thyself and restless is our heart until it comes to rest in thee. ~Saint Augustine

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i would just like to comment on how dumb of a question this is. Why would you want to know peoples defination of office culture?

Source(s): derp hall of shame
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.