what is the difference between clams and mussels?

• COACH
    Favorite Answer

They are two different species of shellfish and each has it's own distinct taste. Clams are white to gray or even reddish brown (called Mahogany clams) and mussels are an oblong shell in a dark blue/black color. Mussel meat is of an Orange color and with a heavier taste than clams but they are both very good.Some clams are eaten raw as well as cooked while mussels are generally always cooked. I like them both.

Clams Vs Mussels

While they are both shellfish they have completely different tastes and look entirely different. A mussel is kind of oblong and black. A clam looks like the sign on the shell gas station. I like clams but hate mussels. mussels grow above the earth in beds semi submerged in the surf. Clams bury into the sand.

Source(s): I clam all summer and there are mussel beds on the secret island I go to in South Georgia.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/wonXQ

It depends on what you're cooking. I mean if you're cooking bouillabaisse, then you obviously cannot substitute clams in the shell for mussels in the shell. They taste different but I do thoroughly enjoy eating both. To me, clams taste sweeter than mussels in the same way that lobster tastes sweeter than crawfish. There is a texture difference too, but I don't see anything to prevent you from subbing the clams as long as they are out of the shell.

Clams are great in sauces, soups, breaded, fried & baked. Mussels are a little.. bland and rubbery when cooked. But, I found this for you anyway:

The greatest difference between zebra mussels and native clams occurs in the mantle cavity. The mantle cavity in all native clams examined contained an active planktonic community, including ciliates, chironomids, harpacticoids, mites, nematodes, nemerteans, oligochaetes, tardigrades, rotifers, and algae. (One exception was when the clams were releasing gametes, the mantle community was practically non-existent). This mantle cavity community was retained for several weeks, even when external food sources were eliminated. The planktonic members of this community readily move in-and-out of both the exhalant and inhalant siphons. While some members of this community ended up in the gut, much of it did not. In contrast, the mantle cavity of zebra mussels were not well colonized, and cleared rapidly when external food sources were eliminated. This difference may be due to the enhanced filtration capacity of zebra mussels when compared to native clams of the same size.

RE:

Source(s): difference clams mussels: https://trimurl.im/b24/what-is-the-difference-betw...

To open the live clam you have to use a lot of mussel!

they are two different animals