Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Does any one know about Bot fly larvae in a cat?

I have a kitten that has wolves, or warbles. It is a worm that gets under the skin in animals and can be fatal. I want to know if someone knows how to get this out. I was told to use ice cubes, but nothing. How can I get it out or kill it with putting the kitten through stress?

Favorite Answer

Warbles, or otherwise known as bot fly larvae, or cuterebra, are caused when the female bot fly lays her eggs either directly on the animal, or deposits the eggs on the ground (where your pet could come into contact with them). In some cases, if a cat eats an infected mouse, or similar, it might catch them in that manner.

The warmth from your pets body causes the egg(s) to hatch rapidly and then it enters the body. It goes on a week-long migration through the body until it finds a place just under the skin. The life-cycle of the larvae happens in about 3 weeks. The pore (the opening that you can see) gets larger with time and you may be able to see the larvae protruding just a little bit. Eventually, it will fall out.

You have two options here. Option one is to do nothing. The larvae will fall out and the opening (so long as it does not get infected) will close up within a week or so. Option two is to bring it to the vet.

DO NOT attempt to remove the warble yourself. It can have some serious effects on your pet. If the warble is broken, crushed during the removal process, your pet can have a serious allergic reaction.

I would suggest you bring it to the vet. I would not allow my pet to simply expel the larvae on it's own.

http://www.petplace.com/articles/artPrinterFriendl...

Source(s): Wildlife Rehabilitator, Vet Tech

You cannot be infected by warbles yourself, though I am not sure if the same goes for other animals. I believe the only transmission of the bot fly larvae is by the bot flies themselves, and from mosquitoes. Warbles are extremely annoying to animals, so I suggest if you cannot afford to take them to the vet, to treat your kittens yourself. You can do this by applying pressure to the bite where the bot fly on both sides. Apply pressure until the tail of the bot fly appears, and begin to pull it out with a tweezer. The bot fly will have itself firmly planted inside your kitty, so there may be some resistance. Pull steadily and don't tug, otherwise the bot fly larvae may break in two. Pull until the bot fly larvae is completely out, then discard the bot fly. Apply iodine and clean the wound. If all else fails and you cannot get the bot fly out, let it complete it's cycle and it will eventually fall out of your kitten's skin.

Over the years two of my cats have had this happen. I don't recall too much about the first time. I didn't know what the heck the thing was at the time but the young cat had a nasty sore. It pussed and oozed and I just cleaned the area often with warm water and sometimes with deluted alcohol wipes. I also used one of my old steroid creams on it (sparingly). The worm died on it's own and the cats wound healed perfectly.

The second time was about a year ago and it afflicted a kitten. This kitten also had a nasty, oozing wound which I treated in the same fashion. Only, the worm didn't appear to be going anywhere and I could see it moving underneath the skin. I was afraid to mess with it because I still didn';t know much about it at the time. Two days later, the wound was looking cleaner- it wasn't oozing any more but the worm was of considerable size. I gently pushed the kittens cheek and with tweezers I helped pop the maggot out.

I was awestruck (and more than a little grossed out lol). The wound was the cleanest-looking thing I'd ever seen and with the worm out, the hole sealed up and all was well.

After that, I did some research and learned the maggot actually helped the healing process along by eating the infected flesh. I read that maggots in general wonder off from their food sorce somewhat when they're ready to undergo the next phase of the growth BUT at times they can cause problems (and even death) when they fail to do that. *shrug* Sorry I can't give more specifics. I had heard a lot of horror stories about maggots developing in in live host but I don't know how true it is given my experiences.

I hope your kitten gets better soon.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): bot fly larvae cat: https://shortly.im/2wfjH

My parents have a kitten about 8 weeks old, and we noticed she had a sore of some sort on her abdomen. They applied Neosporin, and when I saw the kitten about a week later, there was a noticeable hole in the abdomen and a bulging under the skin. It was awful to look at. Both of my parents thought the kitten had a hernia. One of my sons thought a tick was in the hole. Something was definitely moving. I wish I'd thought to take a photo. We left, convinced that my parents were right and that what we saw moving was the intestine via an open hernia. Thankfully I decided later to call a vet where I was told the problem sounded like a cuterebra infestation. The vet suggested that we try using an eye dropper to put a couple drops of regular - strength hydrogen peroxide into the hole, in an attempt to flush out the larva. My dad was able to get hold of the almost-inch-long larva and gently pull it out. They flushed the wound with a bit of peroxide and applied Neosporin

Botfly Larvae Removal

Hi there...I work with exotic cats and have seen warbles (bot fly larvae). We always have a wildlife rehabilitator or a vet remove it as it can possible be fatal if not treated quickly. I wish I could suggest a home remedy unfortunately it is risky to attempt removing these parasites as it often causes infections. Sometimes they disappear on their own as quickly as their appeared, but if you're not comfortable to wait and your kitten is very young I would contact your vet. I hope you would please contact your vet immediately to have them assist you.

Source(s): Feline Trainer for domestic and exotic cats

Botfly In Skin

Keep the hole covered with Vaseline. The maggot will come out for air and can be removed with tweezers. Just did it on a kitten we have that had one.