Kevan asked in TravelItalyRome · 1 decade ago

Is there anywhere i can exchange italian lira & french francs for euros?

Level 1

I was on a trip to Italy about 6 years ago,when i was moving i discovered i had a suitcase full of french francs and lira is is there anyway i can exchange them or should i just throw them away i have about 80,000 francs and 200million lira

to the ppl that said it wasnt 200 million lire we counted its four hundred 500,000 lire notes

• maroc
    Best Answer

200 million lira is about 100.000 (one hundred thousand dollars) if you send them to me i will manage to exchange them, but you should let me keep a gooD 25%

:P

i think you have only 200 thousand liras... i think that you can change them only at the banca d'italia in rome, via xx settembre.

I was living in Italy when the lire was introduced, and the commercials on TV said that after a certain date (in 2002), lire could only be exchanged at the Banca d'Italia.

Are you sure you have 200 million lire? That's over $100,000. And you have about $16,000 in francs. Why can't I ever find money like that in a suitcase?

Oh how sad. That's a lot of francs and lire to have held onto in a suitcase.

I think they are defunct since they are no longer in use.

Perhaps all is not lost. Here's a New York Times article: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=tra...

Plan a trip to each of those countries within the next five years or so, go to the national bank and voilà!

Hope that helps!

You can usually exchange foreign currency in the U.S. in any NATIONAL bank... it will have the word "National" in it's name.

you can like send money to this place or exchange it at an airport!