V for Vendetta. Is this a manga?

I purchased the V for Vendetta dvd. It kick a$$! On the back it said ......"based on a graphic novel.........." so it was a manga? cool. also do u know where i can read it, if it is a manga?thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"V for Vendetta" was a graphic novel by British writer Alan Moore. He's considered one of the more influential comic book writers out there. (for more of his works, check the source link)

"Manga" is a term referring to comic book series and collections of Japanese origin (or sometimes style) usually packaged in a small, paperback book sized binding.

The term "graphic novel" is a generic term, referring to any collection of sequential art (like comic books). Some graphic novels are merely collections of comic book story arcs, while others like "Maus", "Life on Another Planet", and "Pedro & Me" are written specifically for the graphic novel medium. Manga can be graphic novels, but not all graphic novels are Manga.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

No, it most probably is a graphic novel. America also has its own graphic novels that are not mangas. American graphic novels are based on the American culture. They are a completely separate entity from mangas. I did a paper on this, but I can't remember what I wrote...

Something along the lines that an American graphic novel is more jam packed with action and more serious than it can be published as an American comic, and attacks things that a comic is not able to.

In this case, the graphic novel has NO relationship whatsoever to Japan.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As others have already mentioned, the movie is based on a graphic novel. However, this particular graphic novel is not manga. To further avoid misunderstanding previous answers, Alan Moore (the author of this particular great "big comicbook") is English.

• 1 decade ago

No it was a graphic novel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930289528/sr=8-2...

Manga and "traditional" Graphic novels are different.

While some consider Manga graphic novels, stories with pictures, not all graphic novels are Manga.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No... It's is a graphic novel, which is just basically a large comic. It is by alan moore and david lloyd. For other great reads pick up:

Watchmen (also alan moore)

Y the last man (brian K. vaughn)

Batman the dark knight returns (frank miller)

• 1 decade ago

I have it. It's a graphic novel.

• i don think it is is it a cartoon cause manga is usally cartoon i think if its a japanese cartoon its called anime if its just a drawing that you created for fun is manga i dra manga

• 1 decade ago

negative.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.