Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

Should I get a stock certificate issued and keep it in a safe deposit box or keep them as book entries?

For when I buy more MSFT stock as a long-term investment? It costs no more for me to get the certificates issued.

Favorite Answer

It is more convenient to own stock in book entry form. But it might be safer to have the stock certificates. There is always the possibility of error or malfeasance where the book entries are kept.

As long as you are dealing with a reputable and solvent broker, keep the stocks in book entry with the broker. They handle the collection and reinvestment of dividends, the accounting for mergers and spin-offs, voting of proxies, etc., and it costs you nothing. I have dealt with many situations where people have stock certificates, and have no idea what they are worth or even if they have any value; researching these items after a number of years can be quite a task.

I've done it both ways. If you want the certificate,that's fine and the broker will deliver it to your if that's your choice. If you live close to the brokers office you can take the certificate to them at any time you wish to sell. If you plan to hold the stock in question for a very long time, owning in certificate form is fine.

keep them as book entries and keep the money in safe deposit box :)