Kulfi (Ice Cream)
• 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk -- can use fat free
• 1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk -- can use fat free
• 16 ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed or 1 pkg of dream whip, prepared
• 2 slices day old white bread, torn into pieces
• about 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1 mango
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
2. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish.
3. Sprinkle with cardamom
4. Freeze at least 8 hours
5. Right before serving
6. Peel mango and cut into bite size pieces
7. Remove baking dish from freezer and scoop into individual serving bowls
8. Top with a few pieces of mango.
9. Optional: blend mango pieces to make a mango puree and serve the kulfi topped with that instead of
slices of mango.
10. Optional: instead of mango, sprinkle shelled pistachios over the top
All work during the night and rest at night. This is how kulfi vendor Nawab's life goes on. We had a chat with Nawab even while tasting the delicious kulfi. Nawab says, "I have been in this profession right from the year 1972". A resident of Foreshore estate area in Chennai, Nawab started his life on a meagre salary of Rs.150 per month. His boss was a Telugu speaking person, for whom he sold kulfi in the Ice House area every night from 1972 to 1985. Gradually he learnt the tricks of the trade and he now not only sells kulfi but makes it too!
Independence is something he values now. "After learning the work fully, I do not favour working under somebody as an employee". In one day he makes kulfi from 10 litres of milk and sells it. "First the milk should be boiled well and cooled thoroughly. Later corn flour, sugar, cashew nut powder, vanilla essence and milk khoa should be added to the cooled milk and dissolved without lumps. This mixture should be filled in small plastic containers and sealed with rubber bands. These containers should be placed in a bronze vessel and topped with ice and salt. Shake the vessel thoroughly. When the ice and salt gets dissolved the milk gets solidified and that becomes the delicious, tasty and cool kulfi".
· 1 decade ago