Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

How to calculate anchor loading in OSHA approved fall prevention systems?

Best Answer

It's usually done with software. From reference 1:

"When you are using a fall protection system as described below what is the maximum load imposed on the anchor point for the system?

1. Anchor point

2. SRL with maximum arrest force at 900lb

3. Safety harness supporting person 255lb

The maximum arrest distance is 2ft before coming to a stop.

As a guide, when using fall protection systems the loading on the anchor point should be equivalent to the maximum arrest force imposed on the person. Is this the case? I hope you can give me some guidance on these points.

Point 2 is 900 lbs (if 900 lbf force is imposed on the anchorage). For a Rule of Thumb calculate in energy units: Wt x free fall distance = Force x deceleration distance. So Weight 255 lbs x two foot free fall = Force x one foot deceleration (typical) so force is 510 lbf.

If deceleration distance is longer than the free fall the static load is what the anchorage eventually encounters.

This type calculation works best for lanyards rather than the more complex SRL absorbers.

EFSS has a software program available on this web site under Publications that has great flexibility for the type of problem you are posing."

It's been a while, but when I had my safety class for my tower climbing certification I think that anchor points had to be rated at 3000 pounds. Maximum fall distance is 6 feet on your lanyard. Assume a weight of 225 pounds or even more falling 6 feet and you can have quite a load. At least double that for a safety factor. It all adds up.

I usually use a fish scale, and then smudge the rest of the info.