Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Blown Head Gasket and Engine Block Sealant?

I have a blown head gasket. I am told that this problem can be sorted out with a Engine block sealer. How accurate is that? Is there anything else that i should know or watch out for?

Is there a particular brand which i should go for? What is the approximate cost?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Engine block sealant will technically fix your blown head gasket, but will basically render your vehicle inoperable for daily driving. engine block sealant is used in race cars and racing applications where the engine does not need cooled as much. You can do this to your regular car, but will end up with an engine that overheats very often. You best bet is to have this problem fixed as soon as possible. If you put this problem off too long, you run the risk getting coolant into the engine oil and ruining the entire engine. Then a $300 head gasket problem just went to a $3000 engine replacement problem. So it is better to get it taken care of ASAP.

Hope this helps.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Head Gasket Sealant

• 1 decade ago

Apparently block sealer can work

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Head-Gasket-With-Engi...

but you are taking more of a chance with your car. Your better bet would be to get a shade tree mechanic, a friend or someone a friend knows that can do it for you on a weekend.

I got mine done on a 92 Plymouth sundance for $400.

the head is the top cover over the engine, covering your spark plugs, rockers, top of the pistons etc. The head gasket is usually a cork or plastic rubber seal that goes around the edge of that top cover and the top of the engine to seal the two together so things don't leak. It's not like the gasket is expensive, it's just a big job to take things apart to get at it and fix it.

So here's the deal, are we talking about a car worth say more than $2000 in replacement cost, Honestly?

If you are then find somebody and get the gasket replaced. If your not, well try the engine sealant, it may not last very long or it may not work but for $10 bucks and a bit of time it's a reasonable gamble to keep the car on the road for another year.

• 3 years ago

Head Gasket Sealer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I had great luck with the Fel-Pro "PermaTorque" cylinder head gaskets. The gaskets cost about $20, but the real cost is the cost of removing and reinstalling the head or if the head got too hot and warped. A warped head means the surface of the head is no longer flat so a new gasket won't seal it. A remanufactured cylinder head costs around $200. The cost of removing and installing the head depends on what engine and vehicle it is. The head on a 4 cylinder car is a lot easier to work on than something like a V6 wedged into a mini-van.

Source(s): engine section at www.rockauto.com auto parts
  • 1 decade ago

no.. this will not seal the head gasket if you use thiat stuff you are asking for trouble think of what it does it seals craks and small holes in the block well that also includes the water ports you need open the only way to repair a blown head gasket is to replace it if it is a v type change both of them i am not telling you not to use it this is up to you i am trying to give you very good advice to help you why buy a motor when all you need to do is replace the head gasket

Source(s): mechanic 25 years build race cars and monster trucks
  • Lori
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awhyH

What liquid sealants do is that they cause slightly worn rubber seals (piston rings, gaskets, valve seals, etc.) to expand a little to restore them to their original thickness, thus providing better sealing. However, do take note that the effects is only very mild. Liquid sealants are only good if you have very mild smoke or mild wear and tear. If u have a blown gasket, then you've gotta get it replaced. No two was about this bro. Head gaskets are relatively cheap to replace.

• 1 decade ago

An engine block sealer would be a temporary fix. You will still need to adress the issue down the road.

That said anything with Sodium Silicate (Water Glass) in it will work wonderfully. The name brand I know that have this ingrediant are KW and Car-go. Water glass can also be bought a a hardware or a drug store. Your system must be empty of anitfreeze when you put the sealer in. You'll be able to replace the anti-freeze in a couple of weeks.

• 1 decade ago

sunyjim is confused.. that is the valve cover. the head is the big cast piece that makes up the top half of the combustion chamber, and the only way to fix the gasket is to replace it. the head gasket is usually made of metal or a composite material. if you don't fix it properly you will destroy your engine. i don't know of any sealant that can handle the heat or pressure for cheaper than fixing it the correct way.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Mastering The Male Orgasm http://StopPrematureEjaculation.emuy.info/?6sWF
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.