Did caffeine cause me to have a panic attack?

24-30 hrs before my attack, I had consummed 4 cups of irish cream coffee, one cup after the other, and as always some diet coke. Then today, I consummed about 3 glasses of diet coke as well. I have only slept about 3-4 hrs. So here's what happened. Last night, I was trying to sleep, but was VEY irritable and... show more 24-30 hrs before my attack, I had consummed 4 cups of irish cream coffee, one cup after the other, and as always some diet coke. Then today, I consummed about 3 glasses of diet coke as well. I have only slept about 3-4 hrs.

So here's what happened. Last night, I was trying to sleep, but was VEY irritable and feeling paranoid because I work in the oncology dpt of a hospital and started feeling paranoiud about having cancer and going through chemo. I have never felt this way before, and i have been there for 2 months. Then today I was helping my bf out with a research paper, and I just cracked. I started yelling and then it turned to crying and then boom! panic attack. The worst symptom of it all was that my lips went numb.

I have had maybe 4-5 attacks before during my teens, but that was related to a death in the family.

so is it the caffeine that caused this? The paper was health related by the way...
Update: (sorry for the typos, Im still feeling a little anxious)
Update 2: Just_two_01: I actually have never had a migraine, and I never get headaches either ( I guess I'm lucky). The numbness moved from my lip to my left eye. I usually dont have trouble sleeping, I have been having more caffeine than usual lately though. As for the melatonin, you're right, it's a... show more Just_two_01:

I actually have never had a migraine, and I never get headaches either ( I guess I'm lucky). The numbness moved from my lip to my left eye.
I usually dont have trouble sleeping, I have been having more caffeine than usual lately though.
As for the melatonin, you're right, it's a sleep aid..and a simpler way to get it is through warm milk. Sounds gross, but true :)

I'm starting to feel more at ease...but Im just shocked that caffeine can ahve this effect on me, as it's never done this to me before.

And thanks for all your responses so far, I really appreciate everyone's input.