I_M asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Did caffeine cause me to have a panic attack?

24-30 hrs before my attack, I had consummed 4 cups of irish cream coffee, one cup after the other, and as always some diet coke. Then today, I consummed about 3 glasses of diet coke as well. I have only slept about 3-4 hrs.

So here's what happened. Last night, I was trying to sleep, but was VEY irritable and feeling paranoid because I work in the oncology dpt of a hospital and started feeling paranoiud about having cancer and going through chemo. I have never felt this way before, and i have been there for 2 months. Then today I was helping my bf out with a research paper, and I just cracked. I started yelling and then it turned to crying and then boom! panic attack. The worst symptom of it all was that my lips went numb.

I have had maybe 4-5 attacks before during my teens, but that was related to a death in the family.

so is it the caffeine that caused this? The paper was health related by the way...

(sorry for the typos, Im still feeling a little anxious)

Just_two_01:

I actually have never had a migraine, and I never get headaches either ( I guess I'm lucky). The numbness moved from my lip to my left eye.

I usually dont have trouble sleeping, I have been having more caffeine than usual lately though.

As for the melatonin, you're right, it's a sleep aid..and a simpler way to get it is through warm milk. Sounds gross, but true :)

I'm starting to feel more at ease...but Im just shocked that caffeine can ahve this effect on me, as it's never done this to me before.

And thanks for all your responses so far, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Favorite Answer

I think that it was probably all of those factors combined. If you are prone to panic attacks, you really should avoid caffeine. Each of the factors alone normally wouldn't bother you, but when you combine stress (work), lack of sleep, and the large amounts of caffeine, you're bound to find trouble. Do you also suffer from migraines? The numbness in your lips sounds like an aura (a pre-migraine symptom... some people see flashing lights, blind spots, numbness, difficulty speaking, irritability, etc.) Sometimes I get agitated and anxious similar to a panic attack before a migraine. Did you have a headache afterwards? My best advice would be to stay away from caffeine and maybe take a Melatonin every night before bed. I read a study online that says that migraines and panic attacks can be greatly reduced by taking one Melatonin (natural sleep aid found at most drug & healthfood stores) before bed. It takes about 2-3 weeks for it to have an effect, but it does help... I used to have 2-3 migraines a month, now I only have that many in a year. It's natural, no side effects, and definately worth a try!

Good luck!

• Eva

Gee Mel, how long have you had those? You say you weren't stressing about anything at the time of the onset, but there must be an underlying problem to cause them. Either way, please go see a doctor and don't pay attention to the first anwerer, who states that his doc could care less. He should have or still should switch doctors. In your case, there is something that bothers you and having learned a bit about you over the past couple of weeks, my guess is that your upcoming trip may have something to do with it. There is a huge difference between an asthma and a panick attack. To stop this from happening again, you might want to enroll in some classes that are offered by most hospitals or community centers. Check with them or look in the yellow pages. Or type panic attack into your search engine. On top of breathing and relaxing classes, it might be a good idea to ask your doctor if he/she thinks that a mild anti-depressant is in order. Please take care of the issue before travelling overseas. Best of luck and as always, I am here for you if you need me :) MsB P.S. I am glad that your friends were smart enough to call an ambulance and have you checked out. And am equally glad that you seem to have made it through this one alright. However, if they persist, please get medical help. They can be dangerous and turn into more than they seem now. Take good care of yourself. You've been doing so good and I am proud of you for trying to live a better and healthier life.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still feeling anxious as you typed this, and I would say that yes, caffeine can definitely bring on a panic attack. The very first one I ever had that was confirmed/diagnosed by a physician, was following a large intake of caffeine. I've been caffeine-free for about 12 years, and I get mild panic or anxiety symptoms if I have something caffeinated, I can always tell. Like if I order decaf coffee and they goof, I always know. It seems to affect me faster and more severely from hot beverages for some reason. I hope you find any of this helpful, or at least knowing you're not alone...

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

So here's what happened. Last night, I was trying to sleep, but was...

Source(s): caffeine panic attack: https://tr.im/tHKPZ
  • Brooke

Hi there, I just laugh about my past 3 years of panic now. I was not able to go anywhere without carrying xanax. Fear of having another attack was the most important subject of my days.When i first found joe barry's web site i started to cry because of my happiness.

Free audio to end anxiety and panic attacks fast?

I get panic attacks...... and through out my late teens early 20's I realized that caffeine would trigger them. I love coffee (lattes) and would drink alot of it. So I cut out most caffeine. Of course not all.... I drink a good cup in the morning and maybe 1-2 more, but not back to back. I found in doing so that I have way less panic attacks.

Cure Social Anxiety Shyness - http://SocialAnxiety.uzaev.com/?qdbh