Cumberland County (North Carolina) Schools?

Hello,

I was recently offered a teaching contract for The Cumberland County School System in North Carolina. Does anyone have any insights about this particular school system?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I taught in Guilford County for many years. You will definitely find diversity in your students. You will also find that your students will come and go as it is dependent upon the station of their parents. Many of your student's parents will be military personnel. However, this should not really change your approach to teaching. Kids are kids...no matter if you have them a couple of months or the entire school year. Treat them with respect and dignity and they will do the same for you.

Many people start teaching in the more rural systems and move later to the larger systems (Mecklenburg, Guilford, Raleigh, etc.). Even though I taught in Guilford, I taught in one of the more rural high schools and thoroughly loved it. Had I not gotten married and moved to the west coast, I would still be there!

Good Luck!

I teach just south of there in Robeson County. I do know they pay better there than here. I haven't heard any horror stories from that area. I can tell you the population's fairly ethnically diverse, in part because that's how this region is, and in part because of Fort Bragg and Pope AFB's proximity.

If you do end up there, drop me a line and we can compare notes!