Sharon asked in TravelCaribbeanCuba · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know the procedure to obtain permission to travel to cuba from the usa?

Please send information of the process and contact information about traveling to cuba from the usa. Thank you

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

read this link : http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1...

Applying for a Specific License

Persons wishing to travel to Cuba under a specific license should send a letter specifying the details of the proposed travel, including any accompanying documentation, to the Licensing Division, Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of the Treasury, 1500 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20220. Academic institutions wishing to obtain one of the two-year specific licenses described above should send a letter to the same address requesting such a license and establishing that the institution is accredited by an appropriate national or regional accrediting association. Religious organizations wishing to obtain one of the specific licenses described above should send a letter to the same address requesting such a license and setting forth examples of religious activities to be undertaken in Cuba.

The United States maintains a broad embargo against trading with Cuba, and most commercial imports from Cuba are prohibited by law. The sale of certain items, including medicine and medical supplies, and agricultural commodities have been approved for export by specific legislation. The Department of the Treasury may issue licenses on a case-by-case basis authorizing Cuba travel-related transactions directly incident to marketing, sales negotiation, accompanied delivery, and servicing of exports and re-exports that appear consistent with the licensing policy of the Department of Commerce. The sectors in which U.S. citizens may sell and service products to Cuba include agricultural commodities, telecommunications activities, medicine, and medical devices. The Treasury Department will also consider requests for specific licenses for humanitarian travel not covered by the general license, educational exchanges (of at least 10 weeks in duration), and religious activities by individuals or groups affiliated with a religious organization.

Unless otherwise exempted or authorized, any person subject to U.S. jurisdiction who engages in any travel-related transaction in Cuba violates the regulations. Failure to comply with Department of Treasury regulations may result in civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

Additional information may be obtained by contacting:

Licensing Division

Office of Foreign Assets Control

U.S. Department of the Treasury

1500 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Treasury Annex

Washington, DC 20220

Telephone (202) 622-2480; Fax (202) 622-1657

Internet users can log onto the web site at http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/.

Should a traveler receive a license, a valid passport is required for entry into Cuba. The Cuban government requires that the traveler obtain a visa prior to arrival. Attempts to enter or exit Cuba illegally, or to aid the irregular exit of Cuban nationals or other persons, are contrary to Cuban law and are punishable by jail terms. Entering Cuban territory, territorial waters or airspace (within 12 miles of the Cuban coast) without prior authorization from the Cuban government may result in arrest or other enforcement action by Cuban authorities. Immigration violators are subject to prison terms ranging from four years for illegal entry or exit to as many as 30 years for aggravated cases of alien smuggling. For current information on Cuban entry and customs requirements, travelers should contact:

Cuban Interests Section (an office of the Cuban government)

2630 16th Street NW

Washington, DC 20009

Telephone (202) 797-8518

Fax (202) 797-8521

Consular Section

2639 16th Street NW

Washington, DC 20009

Telephone (202) 797-8609/8610/8615

Fax (202) 986-7283

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

As a Canadian who has been to Cuba many cases, i'm form of satisfied individuals can't go there. decrease expenditures and a lot less crowds. yet as a lover of Cuba i hit upon it very unhappy that the country nevertheless well-knownshows it mandatory to stay contained in the 1960's at the same time as it includes relationships with its 0.33 closest neighbour. the US embargo makes existence complicated for Cubans yet they do cope with and cope with nicely. except you're of Cuban history i imagine that any holiday should be frowned upon by technique of the US authorities. yet in the time of my many journeys to Cuba I extremely have met many individuals. They shuttle from Canada, Bahamas and Mexico without regulations. Cuban immigration officials received't stamp your passport out of courtesy to you. yet undergo in innovations American money can purely be exchanged at a extreme suitable type. US charge playing cards are literally not conventional. and American coach travellers tests are a no no. replace all of your money to Euros or CAD before you go and get a pay as you go Visa or MC from a Canadian or Bahamian economic business organization before you go. sturdy luck and enjoy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I sailed there once, had a passport and thats about it. Oh yeah and a boat. I seen em in innertubes leaving Cuba, but they are krazy glue heads and should be shot.

Contact the American Consulate, a Consular Official can tell you the exact protocol and paperwork needed. Consular is a Diplomat.

• 1 decade ago

when i went to Cuba 5 years ago with a friend we went through a third country. We went to santo Domingo D.R and obtained a tourist card.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The legal (and long) process is described quite well by jean.

There are other ways, but I probably should not post it online.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.