How painful is root canal? Whats the best way to feel no pain? Is there any pill to kill pain b4 visiting Dr?

Day after I am having my first root canal surgery and I am really nervous!!! The pain as well as my phobia of visiting Dentist makes it so much worse. On my first visit to Dr he tested my tooth wit some sort of sensor and when he touched one particular point I jumped out of pain. I am just imaging how worse it is... show more Day after I am having my first root canal surgery and I am really nervous!!! The pain as well as my phobia of visiting Dentist makes it so much worse. On my first visit to Dr he tested my tooth wit some sort of sensor and when he touched one particular point I jumped out of pain. I am just imaging how worse it is gonna be when I will be having the root canal. I have requested the Dr to give me 2 shots to keep it numb? I wanna know if the shots really help and are there any other good pain killers available which I can have before visiting the Dr?