Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If Jesus was the only Son of God (John 3:16), then who were the "sons of God" mentioned in Genesis 6:1-4?

Genesis 6:1-4:

1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal [b] ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

4 The Nephilim [translated "giants" in the NKJV Bible] were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Who were these "sons of God," "Nephilim," "giants," and "men of renown?" If, according to John 3:16, Jesus is the only Son of God, who are these other, multiple "sons of God?"

John 3:16-

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Keywords- One and only.

What does this mean?

Please only answer this if you have done thorough and rigorous studies of the Bible. It would be optimal for a theologian to answert this question.

I really do want to know the answer.

Favorite Answer

begotten, Jesus is First of all Creation. All other things including adam and eve were created by Jehovah thru Jesus. even angles

(Colossians 1:15-16) 15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him.

You can see Jesus was in Heaven Jehovah only son that He created directly.(John 17:5) 5 So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.

this prayer Jesus pray is full of wonderfull truth.

the other sons are the angles in heaven,some at this time you speak of are forsaking their proper place by going to earth and proceateing with women.(Jude 6) 6 And the angels that did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place he has reserved with eternal bonds under dense darkness for the judgment of the great day.

Source(s): bible

Jesus was the only one that God made by his own hands. Everything else was made by God but through Jesus. Think of constructing a building. Someone creates the blueprints, but someone else builds it. It can be said that the person who created the blueprints built the house, even though they didn't actually do the physical labor. The passage in question is referring to angels. Some of the angels that followed Satan's way of thinking began to desire women. So they materialized into the form of men and had relations with these women. The women gave birth to half-angel, half-human children. These were the Nephilim. They were huge, violent men that bullied the people. However, they were unable to reproduce (thankfully) and were destroyed in the flood of Noah's day.

Yes. God´s faithful angels don´t marry. But those were not faithful angels. Quite the opposite, they were angels who rebelled against God, materialized human bodies and came to have sex relations with the women here. We can see that the Bible connects the wicked angels directly to Noah´s time: 2 Peter 2+4, 5: Certainly if God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tar´ta·rus, delivered them to pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment; 5 and he did not hold back from punishing an ancient world, but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness, safe with seven others when he brought a deluge upon a world of ungodly people. After Jesus was resurrected, he proceeded to preach to these angels who are in a prison-like state called Tartarus: 1 Peter 3:18-20: Why, even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous [person] for unrighteous ones, that he might lead YOU to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit. 19 In this [state] also he went his way and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who had once been disobedient when the patience of God was waiting in Noah’s days, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water. Because of their disobedience, they´re reserved for the judgment of the great day: Jude 6: 6 And the angels that did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place he has reserved with eternal bonds under dense darkness for the judgment of the great day.

The Bible mentions Jesus as the only "begotten" son of God, he cannot be the "only" son, as God also created other sons which were angels in heaven, (also God's creation "Man" was also called his children as well) the term "only-begotten" in the Bible refers to the fact that Jesus was the first-born of all of God's creative works, everything else that was created after Jesus came in to existence with Jesus help as a co-creator (Read Colossians 1:15-17) so the sons of the true God that had relations with women were some of the angelic sons of God that wickedly and disobediently left their assigned positions in heaven and came to earth to breed with humans also found in Jude 6 as you can see from the scripture in Genesis 6:1-4 this led to a hybrid offspring of "Nephillim" part human/part angel who were wicked giants and this greatly saddened God and escalated the violence and immorality on the earth, and forced him to wipe out every living thing except for Noah and his family in the great deluge

The "sons of God" at Genesis 6:1-4 were the "bene Elohim" as called in the Hebrew texts or the Old Testament. The "bene Elohim" were mentioned 37 times in the Old Testament and ONLY 2 times, that is 2 times out of 37 are the "bene Elohim" mentioned as MEN. That is mankind. So, the OTHER 35 times they are mentioned in Bible, it is NOTED to mean Angels, and 2 times to mean Man. So on the Basis of this, we can estimate that at least almost EVERY TIME it was speaking of Angelic BEINGS.

The Nephilim were the sons of the angels and women and were also called "men of renown." Think of the "titans" and "Hercules" as just some of these men, Goliath was a much, much watered down version with very little strength or size compared to his ANCIENT pre-flood brethren. The Bible itself says, "and also after this" when speaking of their breeding before and AFTER the flood." It also speaks of the "Rephaim" writhing under the WATERS in the Flood (note it doesn't say dying) but writhing," so we see there is reason to believe that some "form" of them survived to create a hybrid race such as the Giants of Goliath of Gath and King Ogg of Bashan who's bed measured 13 feet. (see the Bible). The Nephilim, 1/2 spiritual creature and 1/2 human could not ever "feel full" how could they? God did NOT ACCEPT THEM since they were NOT PART OF HIS CREATION. THEY WERE ABHORRENT TO HIS SIGHT. SO INSTEAD OF FEEDING THEIR SPIRITUAL SIDE, HE CUT THEM OFF. Starving them, leaving them always hungry (sounds like a vampire, right?) hmm where could these stories have come from?

So, these 200 "Watcher" class angels seduced and fornicated with women, creating violent children who in turn tortured and ate everything they could. They were also genius' and marvels at science and technology. They CREATED WONDER'S that we are NOW just able to recreate.

As far as John 3:15 goes, he is speaking of Christ Jesus, "his only Begotten Son." What this means is that Jesus was God's ONLY creation in the UNIVERSE and HEAVEN'S. Christ Jesus then created the Angels, the Heaven's and the world and Universe. Think about that! THE ONLY THING GOD CREATED, DIED FOR YOU AND ME. The ONLY thing! If you created ONE THING, would you sacrifice it for imperfect people who mistreated and hated you? Makes you think.

Source(s): Also, look on Yahoo! for the Book of Adam & Eve, the Book of Jubilee's and the Book of Enoch. These Books go into GREAT DETAIL on the SON'S OF GOD AND THE DAUGHTER'S OF MEN. Many people try to say, that the Sons of God are "Seth's Son's" and the Daughter's of Men are "Cain's Daughter's" but this makes NO SENSE as God saw both Seth and Cain both equally sinful in the flesh.

SONS OF GOD NO MATTER WHERE IT IS MENTIONED ARE THOSE PEOPLE WHO KEEP THE LAW OF GOD. YOU TOO ARE A SON OR DAUGHTER OF GOD IF YOU KEEP THE LAW OF GOD. THIS IS WHY WE ARE BORN , TO BECOME A SON OF GOD.

The Bible makes it perfectly clear that all who accept God's offer of mercy and salvation through His Son Jesus Christ will inherit and inhabit the new universe for His pleasure, glory, and the expansion of His Divine Family. We shall be kings and priests ruling under Jesus Christ (Revelation 1:6; 5:10). How awesome! Are you willing to accept that fact? It is speculated by some that the entire universe will one day teem with life and the redeemed of the Lord will inhabit it.

"And He that sat upon the throne said, 'Behold, I make all things new.' And He said unto me, 'Write: for these words are true and faithful.' And He said unto me, 'It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son'" (Revelation 21:57).

1jo 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

1jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

the men who believed God were also called the sons of God, that does not mean they were without sin. Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour was with God at the beginning of creation. He was without sin, he was not born but begotten by the Holy Spirit. Everyone that believes in Him, he gives them the power to become the children of God.

Fallen angelic being,s the book of Hebrews say,s that Jesus is superior than the angel he created them to be only ministering spirit's. The title Son OF GOD mean's spiritual Sonship me aning begotten before all world's God of God, Light of Light,very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the father, by whom all thing's were made. Jesus is not a angel he wouldn't have let the Peter , John, and etc worship him. he is God who came down to so his agape toward's mankind, by becoming a Lamb and a Priest, Prophet, to save us from his wrath to come.

Source(s): The Holy Bible

Jesus was the only "begotten" son of God. The sons of God in Gen. 6 are the goldy line of Seth; it's where we see sacrifices to God. :)

This will be long, but bear with me. I am going to recite from a collection called "Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee", from Volume 1, Genesis 6:1-4. In reading these 5 Volumes, which is Pastor McGee's interpretation of the Bible (he had a great gift of interpretation), I have had many confusions explained to me in a way that made/makes sense.

I have found only one opinion of his that I disagree with, which truly was only his opinion and not a specific interpretation, only because we had an experience a few years ago that provided proof of the subject at hand. However, whenever I have a question about what something in the Bible means, I go to J. Vernon McGee's materials.

From "Thru the Bible", Genesis 6:1-4:

"In chapter 6 we see not only the Flood, but also the reason for the judgment of the Flood.

6:1-2 'And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.'

This matter of "the sons of God" and "the daughters of men" is something that has caused no end of discussion. There are a great many good men who take the positition that "the sons of God" were angels. I personally cannot accept that at all. Most of my teachers taught that the sons of God were angels, and I recognize that a great many of the present-day expositors take that position. However, I cannot accept that view, because, if these were good angels, they would not commit this sin, and evil angels could never be designated as "sons of God". Also, the offspring here were men; they were not monstrosities. I do not know why it is assumed by so many that the offspring were giants. We will look at this more closely when we come to verse 4.

6:3 'And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.'

We believe that Noah preached for 120 years, and during that time the Spirit of God was striving with men. Peter makes it very clear that it was back in the days of Noah that the Spirit of God was striving with men in order that He might bring them to God - but they would not turn. "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison" (1 Peter 3:18-19). These spirits were in prison when Peter wrote, but they were preached to in the days of Noah. How do we know that? Verse 20 reads: "Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longer suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a-preparing, wherein few that is, eight souls were saved by water." When were they disobedient? During the long-suffering of God in the days of Noah - during those 120 years.

6:4 'There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.'

It says, "There were giants in the earth in those days", but it does not say they are the offspring of the sons of God and the daughters of men. It does say this about the offspring: "the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown". These were not monstrosities; they were men. The record here makes it very clear that the giants were in the earth before this took place, and it simply means that these offspring were outstanding individuals."

My interjection: There are then 2 very long paragraphs that venture into evolution and humanity, that ties in, but doesn't specifically address your question; therefore, I will leave that out. However, if you would like the text, please let me know through "additional information", and I'll include it. (end)

"Then what do we have here in verse 4? As I see it, Genesis is a book of genealogies - it is a book of the families. The sons of God are the godly line who have come down from Adam through Seth, and the daughters of men belong to the line of Cain. What you have here now is an intermingling and intermarriage of these two lines, until finally the entire line is totally corrupted (well, not totally; there is one exception). That is the picture that is presented to us here.

I recognize, and I want to insist upon it, that many fine expositors take the opposite view that the sons of God are actually angels. If you accept that view, y ou will be in good company, but I am sure that most of you want to be right and will want to go along with me. Regardless of which view you take, I hope all of us will be friends, because this is merely a matter of interpretation. It does not have anything to do with whether or not you believe the Bible but concerns only the interpretation of the facts of Scripture." (end)

My interjection: The New Testament says that Christ is the "only begotten son", but it also says that all true Christians, those that have accepted Christ Jesus as their Lord and Savior, are "children of God". We are also told that we will be heirs along with Christ.

I have to believe that the latter is where we have learned to reference each other as "brother" and "sister" in our churches. We are "brothers and sisters in Christ", and the "children of God". So to say that the "GODLY" men in the line of Adam through Seth, being that they followed after God, would be considered "sons of God". And, being that Cain's line was UNgodly, thus, "men of the world" [or "carnal" as other parts of the Bible put it], the daughters in this line would be considered "daughters of men".

I hope this answers your question, or at least gets you started in finding that answer.

If you would like to learn more about J. Vernon McGee, or to obtain and read more of his work (if this has helped you), there is a website at www.thruthebible.org. And FYI, Pastor McGee passed from this life in December 1988.

Source(s): "Thru the Bible" by J. Vernon McGee