pba1221d asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

How long does it typically take for zoloft 50mg to work on OCD?

My son developed PANDAS related OCD from strep throat. He began 25 mg of zoloft one week ago...he just had the dose increased to 50mg. How long until I see some improvement in the OCD?

• mrodrx
    Favorite Answer

He has to take if for a full 12 weeks before you can decide if it is working or not. That is the longest that it can take. He won't wake up one morning and feel better. You could start seeing some noticeable results by the end of 4 weeks but you might not. Sticking with it is the hardest problem most patients have. Don't give up. The improvement is very gradual and you might not notice it right away. Good Luck

Source(s): Pharmacist
  • Susan

Usually it takes six to eight weeks for the Zoloft to act right give it some more time and if u r still experiencing anxiety or mood swings u might want to consult with ur physician to see if the dosage should be upped or maybe have Zoloft aided by some other med like I have. I've been on Zoloft for fifteen years and swear by it, others hate it.

I take Zoloft for depression and it takes a goo 2 weeks to a month to start kicking. It will happen gradually just be there for him

An SSRI (Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) like Zoloft would typically need up to a month before you begin to notice the effects.

Source(s): I work in a pharmacy

usually about 3-7 days for it to kick in but the dr always tells you up to 2-6 weeks like we dont know our own bodies lol i have ocd too

usually around 2 weeks

i heard it takes from 2 weeks to a month for the drug to kick in.

Zoloft is an anti-depressant and is actually prescribed for depression,not OCD.Althogh Zoloft can help with symptoms of OCD,the only proven therapy for someone with OCD is behavioural therapy.

should be less than a day