bfrank
bfrank asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

I consider Citizen Kane the great American movie of the 20th century. What other movies . . .?

. . . would you list along with it as great movies of the century? Do you think of these primarily as entertainment or as art? If you were classifying them for a reference book would you be more likely to discuss them under the heading Theater and Film or Television and Movies?

Favorite Answer

1. Citizen Kane - yes, masterpiece!

Greed (Jason)! Emphatically seconded!!!!!

My all time favourite: Laughton's Night of the Hunter

Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly

Altman's Short Cuts

Griffith's Intolerance

Hitchcock's Psycho

Kubrick's 2001

Kubrick's Dr Strangelove

Chaplin's The Gold Rush

Milestone's All Quiet On the Western Front

Hawks's Scarface, Shame of the Nation

Lubitsch's To Be Or Not to Be

Wilder's Double Indemnity

Wilder's The Lost Weekend

Siodmak's The Killers

Huston's Asphalt Jungle

Kazan's A Streetcar Named Desire

Cronenberg's A History of Violence (not exactly 20th century!)

Jarmusch's Stranger Than Paradise

etc. etc.

2. These movies are art, though some of them highly entertaining!

3. Why not only Film or Movies?

I consider great movies to be both entertainment and art. If I was writing a reference book, I would give film its own category. Although I am an American, most of my favorite movies are European. My favorite films include:

1. The Seventh Seal

2. Grand Illusion

3. Celine and Julie Go Boating

4. In a Year of 13 Moons

5. Amarcord

I think Erich Von Stroheim's Greed is probably the most impressive American movie of the 20th Century. It has all the skills that Citizen Kane has and more...and it was made nearly 20 years before!

Citizen Kane always left me pretty empty. Sure, it is genius and incredibly well crafted. But there isn't an emotional chord in the film.

I really like Touch of Evil, as a Welles alternative.

• JoYbOy

It's a great movie...what about THE GODFATHER??

Citizen Kane, the film, is many things. It is a brilliantly crafted series of flashbacks and remembrances. It is an engaging story of a dynamic man in a dynamic world. It is a remarkable statement for the wide range of time periods that it covers. It is a deceptively simple story centering on perhaps the most meaningful word in all of moviedom. Behind all that, Citizen Kane is the American cinema. There is not a major director today who has not been influenced by the genius Orson Welles put forth in his debut masterpiece. The film centers around a group of reporters investigating the origin of the dying newspaper tycoon (loosely based on William Randolph Hearst), Charles Foster Kane's last word: Rosebud. The movie begins with an unforgettable newsreel montage summarizing the man's life.

From there on, the viewer is thrown into a gloriously chaotic world of flashbacks upon flashbacks, in which the viewer slowly learns just about everything about Charles Foster Kane's enthralling life. From his trying childhood to his rise to power to the pinnacle of his success to his marital difficulties to his fall from grace, the story of Charles Foster Kane is presented for the viewer in a way that few other movies can offer: magically. Citizen Kane, undeniably, is THE triumph of the American cinema, and one of the greatest films every created.

Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, The Godfather movies, Titanic, Ben-Hur, Forrest Gump, Schindler's List, E.T., Rain Man, A Raisin in the Sun, Sounder, Driving Miss Daisy, On the Waterfront

• LORD Z

Gone With The Wind

It's A Wonderful Life

High Noon

Spartacus

A Clockwork Orange

Behind the Green Door &

How the West Was Won

I have never seen Citizen Kane but I think The green mile with Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan is also a great movie. It's a movie that everyone must see.

20th Century and someone says Crash? Lord of the Rings trilogy? Get a calendar.

How about the Star Wars trilogy?

Yes but I also think that you should add Casablanca, Lawrence Of Arabia, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and also Crash. These are all awesome movies.