Since its tax-free, Why isnt Gas Tax-free?

Duh Shouldnt gas be tax free.. I Pay too much for gas, i live in south carolina, even thought we dont have it as bad as others we pay 2.98 per gallon... Rediculous!!!!!

Best Answer

Gas isn't tax-free. The tax is included - like food prices at a baseball game.

And gas taxes go to pay for road work. If you don't want your roads to be paved, then yeah, have the gas tax removed.

I think not only should it be tax free, but nationalized or subsodized to keep prices at <$1.50,

Too many markets are messed up because of this. Gas is required. We all need it like water. Atleast those who spend, and fuel the economy need it like water.

Ive read that studies show gas true price right now should be about $1.70, and that it is a mystery why it costs the extra 1.30 be it greed, or taxes.

Taxes allow the government to make money and they also serve to disencourage people from using/doing something. Gas is taxed so much because (A) the government knows they can make a lot of money on gas tax because everyone who drives uses it, and (B) it forces people to be more efficient with their gas use and influences people to buy more fuel efficient cars.

• DeAnna

Some places food is tax free. I'm in Ohio and food is tax free here.

It would be nice, but it's not gonna happen, I'm paying $3.09 a gallon...

• tjjone

They would just remove the tax from gas and put it someplace else. It would be psychological at best.

For real!! I just payed $45 to fill up my 14 gallon tank. That's fricken insane!!

Gas, like automobiles, is considered a luxury, not a necessity like food.

Same reason food isn't tax free.

It is a commody and a good source of revenue since it is so widely needed and used.

lol we have to pay $3.45 yes it should be tax free!!!!