Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

1993 Nissan Pathfinder-Trans sticks in first gear?

I have a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder. I bought it in 2001 with 39,000 miles and in pristine condition, other than underbody weathering. I drove it over 3 years problem free. Then toward the end of 2004 the problem started. After engine warm up and a few minutes of driving, I take off from a stop and it sticks in first gear. After trudging along at 25 mph, it unpredictably kicks in and properly shifts for a while. Then the problem repeats - unpredictably. Three dealerships and a crack mechanic examined and researched the issue. After a rebuilt transmission with all new solenoids, a new $925 computer processor, cleaned and checked electrical connectors, and many test drives, it was test driven problem free for short distances until the third week. Hotter weather and a 25 minute drive brought the problem back. My mechanic suspects that a false signal from the computer to the trans solenoid is preventing proper shifting. Why? We obviously don't know! It seems like a "can of worms" has been opened with no simple and economic answers readily available - UNLESS YOU CAN HELP!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

unfortunetaly my friend, you brought a WD21 Pathfinder, which its a miracle the tranny has lasted this long. Very common problem with these Pathfinders between 1990-1995, the tranny's for both AT and MT where horrible. Two things you can do, replace with new or reman tranny from Nissan or trade it in for a newer editions R50 Pathfinder VG33E 1996-2000, VQ35DE 2001-2004 or R51 Pathfinder VQ40DE 2005 till present.

• 1 decade ago

check the gear syncronizers. in my chevy syncronizers went out and i lost 2nd and 4th gear, still had 1st 3rd and overdirve but was all screwy. thats all i can think other than the clutch plates are out of alignment but i dunno just a suggestion

• chanda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

bypass to ur interior of sight walmart or autozone and purchase the radio installation harness......then u experience the colour of the wires from the radio to harness and then in basic terms plug in the harness to inventory wiring...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.