1993 Nissan Pathfinder-Trans sticks in first gear?

I have a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder. I bought it in 2001 with 39,000 miles and in pristine condition, other than underbody weathering. I drove it over 3 years problem free. Then toward the end of 2004 the problem started. After engine warm up and a few minutes of driving, I take off from a stop and it sticks in first gear. After trudging along at 25 mph, it unpredictably kicks in and properly shifts for a while. Then the problem repeats - unpredictably. Three dealerships and a crack mechanic examined and researched the issue. After a rebuilt transmission with all new solenoids, a new $925 computer processor, cleaned and checked electrical connectors, and many test drives, it was test driven problem free for short distances until the third week. Hotter weather and a 25 minute drive brought the problem back. My mechanic suspects that a false signal from the computer to the trans solenoid is preventing proper shifting. Why? We obviously don't know! It seems like a "can of worms" has been opened with no simple and economic answers readily available - UNLESS YOU CAN HELP!

Favorite Answer

unfortunetaly my friend, you brought a WD21 Pathfinder, which its a miracle the tranny has lasted this long. Very common problem with these Pathfinders between 1990-1995, the tranny's for both AT and MT where horrible. Two things you can do, replace with new or reman tranny from Nissan or trade it in for a newer editions R50 Pathfinder VG33E 1996-2000, VQ35DE 2001-2004 or R51 Pathfinder VQ40DE 2005 till present.

check the gear syncronizers. in my chevy syncronizers went out and i lost 2nd and 4th gear, still had 1st 3rd and overdirve but was all screwy. thats all i can think other than the clutch plates are out of alignment but i dunno just a suggestion

• chanda

bypass to ur interior of sight walmart or autozone and purchase the radio installation harness......then u experience the colour of the wires from the radio to harness and then in basic terms plug in the harness to inventory wiring...